+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod guide wrap cracked.

Default Rod guide wrap cracked.

Hope this is a easy question to answer.I got out a fly rod this morning and don't know if I did it on the zipper on the rod tube or the handle section bounced against the first guide below the tip but on the bottom side of the snake guide the clear coat has a crack next to the guide itself not long at all but can be seen as a whitefish crack.The guide seems tight and I pulled on the snake and it didn't seem to move.I have one of those cabelas epoxy packets can I mix that and use a brush and cover around it like you would after winding the guide with thread.

Are you sure it isn't just a surface scratch on the epoxy? If you're sure it's cracked, my suggestion would be to remove the wrap, re-wrap the guide, and then use your epoxy to finish it off. That's only my suggestion ... it's what I'd do ... but I'm TOTALLY AR!!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

If the "crack" is on the thread coating you could cover it with nail polish or mix a tiny spot of epoxy. If the crack is on the rod the look at it under magnification. Chances are that it's just on the surface.

I agree with the Betty and rockthief, you need to determine whether this is just a scratch or if it is structural. I have seen both. It is pretty easy to get a structural crack in a ferrule if you let the ferrule get loose and continue casting the rod. If this is the case, you should do as Betty suggests and rewrap the ferrule.

Ted

Blog Entries

Use the macro function on your camera and take a picture for us. Then we can recommend without speculating on what you are trying to tell us.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Blog Entries

The guide is held in place by the thread. The epoxy protects the thread. If you have any type of UV activated stuff for flies, dab a touch in the crack and hit it with your UV light. Instant repair. The UV stuff like Clear Cure Goo is also thinner than epoxy and won't build a large lump on your guide foot.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I did the repair by mixing a small amount of epoxy and got it thin enough to brush over the area and while I was at it I put a liitle on the backside of the guide to aid in strength and it was done in 15 minutes.Mounted my reel on it and hit the yard for some test cast with no problems.

+ Reply to Thread