+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Triple Threat

Default Triple Threat

In the past I've done a matched pair of rods for a customer before and it always adds a bit of a challenge because you have to make sure they both match each other in wrap lengths trim spacing grip size etc etc etc. Well it gets even more "fun" when you add a third rod to the mix. These are three rods for a group of steelhead anglers that all wanted identical rods as each other.

They are spin "drift" rods but I used 10ft 8wt Batson Rainshadow fly blanks for them. Grips are all turned slightly undersize so they are more comfortable when winter fishing with gloves on. Guides are oversized XSV's to help prevent ice build up. Thread is Garnet no CP with metallic red trim. Also borrowed a page out of the float rod guys book and wrapped a matching size 8 guide as a tip top. Also used the new Kregan style hook keepers which holds any size hook from large bait hook to small fly hooks.

Steve

VERY nice work, Steve!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

NewTyer 1 Guest

Very nice work but, I think one may have one extra turn of thread than the others. What is the idea behind the tip top and don't you think the line might get caught up in it built that way? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Scoot the idea tip done that way is something float rod (centerpin) guys have been doing for years. Basically the reason for it is because with a normal spin tiptop it makes the line go from the last guide to the tip at an angle. So with the tip being a guide like the other 7 guides before it, the line stays in the same plane from the 3rd guide all the way out of the tip top which equals longer casts, and less drag. There's no real problems with tangling to speak of when done with just 1/8" of blank hanging in front. If you put the guide too far back then there might be issues.

+ Reply to Thread