+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sinking lines?

Hybrid View

Default sinking lines?

i just started fly fishing last year, so I have only used a floating line. If i wanted to fish clousers and streamers, will they get down ok with floating line, or is a sinking line the way to go?

It all really depends on how deep you need to fish. One thing to keep in mind is that a floating line will pull a fly toward the surface. The faster you retrieve the faster this happens. Most anglers overestimate the depth at which they are fishing. It is difficult to swim a fly deeper than half the length of leader and even that usually requires a fairly slow retrieve. On a fairly quick retrieve, even a clouser minnow will run up near the surface.

A sinktip line will help swim a fly deeper, but the floating portion of the line will still cause the sinking portion to rise toward the surface. As with a floating line, the faster you retrieve the fly the less deep it runs. Sink tips can be easier to handle than a full sinking line. If fishing in moving water you can still mend to floating portion of the line to allow allow for a near drag free drift of the fly and sinking portion to let it sink to depth before you start the retrieve.

Full sinking lines are better at swimming a fly and keeping it down and a consistent depth, but are more difficult to manage.

I choose the type of line I am using depending on the techniques I am using, the water I am fishing, and the depth I expect to find fish at.

A sink tip line would be a good complement to your floating line and allow you to reach a lot of fish you might miss otherwise.

Thanks for the advice. If I want to fish top water will the sink tip line still allow my flies to float or will it cause them to sink?

Yeah,,, a sink tip would be a good second line and maybe at some point a full sink.
    I use a fast sink in lakes, no matter what the depth, to throw large unweighted or lightly weighted pike flies and streamers.
    Slow to intermediate sinks are supposedly a little easier to cast but I've never seen a need for them.

Why would you want to fish top water with a sink tip
    nam

A sink tip line will sink your floating flies. That's it's purpose.

If you fish still waters for warm water fish, you really should look into a full sinking line.

For bass/bluegills/crappie/catfish being able to get down to that eight to fifteen foot depth range will improve your catches significantly.

To start, get the fastest sinking line your rod can throw. Use the countdown method to find the fish.

If you want the opportunity to fish topwater as well as use a sinking line, you will need two rods (otherwise you will be changing spools/reels every time you want to throw a popper or such, then changing back when you want to fish deep). Good excuse to buy another rod and reel.

Remember that you can't really 'pick up' a length of sinking line. To use it effectively, you'll want to retrieve it all the way in, then recast.

After you get used to a fast sinking line, you may want to add other sink rates. An intermediate line is great for fishing Clousers in shallow water, and a medium sink, someplace in the 4-5 inches/second range, is great for those four to eight foot depths in the spring and fall.

I've gotten to where I carry a number of rods rigged for different presentations, matching the sink rates of the lines to different depths and flies. But I've 'collected' rods and reels for years and have them to spare....

Good Luck!
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    A sink tip line will sink your floating flies. That's it's purpose.

Good Luck!
    It's purpose?
    I thought if was for getting a nymph, wet, or streamer down quickly but still allow good line pick up.
    I use it for river streamers.
    nam

I think sink tips are much harder to learn to cast. They are basically a short area of sink. Like putting a bunch of split shot on. A chuck and duck.
    Full sink lines are smaller diameter and much easier to cast than even a floating line. Plus, keeps the fly in the zone when stripping it in.
    I use a DENSITY COMPENSATED Type II on rivers when fishing streamers AND softhackles (perfect presentation for these) And a Type III in a WET CELL
    when fishing weedy rivers or stillwaters.
    Plus to me, the smaller diameter is much easier to lift. No mending, just cast across and drift, or down and strip.

Quote Originally Posted by bmaher287 View Post
    i just started fly fishing last year, so I have only used a floating line. If i wanted to fish clousers and streamers, will they get down ok with floating line, or is a sinking line the way to go?

Personally, for the kind of water I fish, lakes and big farm ponds, floating lines won't cut it for most streamers. I love my Teeney T-200 sinking head line. It's about 10 years old and casts like a dream. I've caught a ton of big bass on it too.

+ Reply to Thread