+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need savvy Odds Maker

Blog Entries

Default Need savvy Odds Maker

I think this should be fun.
    A fishing buddy of mine (a non-tier. There are some) is convinced this fly will not work. First, he says it will not float. Says the CDC wings will sink the fly.
    Anyway, we are betting on this fly. I maintain it will float and will catch fish. Test to occur this summer.
    In the meantime, I need your odds setting to set our bet. I will accept the average odds you set and offer that to him.
    Thanks!!
    Byron

That fly will float and catch fish! To put odds against it would be stupid. Hope your buddy has lots of money!

NewTyer 1 Guest

The only thing that concerns me is the CDC. Is the stem thick enough to hold it up straight when wet but, other than that, it should float wonderfully

Should do the trick. But if your friend is the one fishing it odds are 100 to 1 it does not float or catch fish.

how long does it have to float, and does it have to catch fish while floating or just catch fish?
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

That fly will catch fish.

That being said, I am not a fan of CDC feathers on a dry fly. If not very careful the CDC gets wet and the fly rides low in the water. Sometimes a fly " half sunk in the film" works. Sometimes only the "high riding" fly will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    I think this should be fun.
    A fishing buddy of mine (a non-tier. There are some) is convinced this fly will not work. First, he says it will not float. Says the CDC wings will sink the fly.
    Anyway, we are betting on this fly. I maintain it will float and will catch fish. Test to occur this summer.
    In the meantime, I need your odds setting to set our bet. I will accept the average odds you set and offer that to him.
    Thanks!!
    Byron

Blog Entries

Appreciate the comments. I have to determine the odds though.

By the way, this is done in the Steven way - the stroked down fibers are tied down BELOW the bottom of the stem. so that the wings are not too stiff.
    The two CDC feathers are held together; fibers are stroked down; stems are cut; and then the stroked down fibers are tied in just below the clipped stem.
    Hard to explain. Wish I could draw. Am sure others can show.

Shown here

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...050905fotw.php
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 02-12-2013 at 03:36 AM.

AlanB Guest

When I played darts to quite a high standard I would never play for a bet more than the price of a drink. It was a social activity for me, and putting large sums on it took that away. If I were you I'd give him two to one against any fly "he has tied". Thats his challenge to tie one better. Yes I know he doesn't tie, use it to get him to. He will understand much more about his fishing if he learns to tie. If he will not do it then use some other forfeit.
    Cheers,
    A.

I once read there were some super-smart fish that wouldn't take a catskill-type fly

It depends on where you are fishing too. I give it 3 to 2 odds it'll catch a fish when fished during the morning or evening hatch.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

+ Reply to Thread