+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you want to know?

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply,

Lets be clear. There are no identifiers in my posting that would lead anyone here to the identity of the individual. There also is no offer in my posting to do so. The stretch between what was posted and what some here imagined might be forthcoming was just that, a product of their imaginations. I posed a straight forward question, to gauge the members interest in these matters.

I known how to handle this matter and even though, as I stated in my post, I'm not interested in recouping my loss. There is sufficient reason for us all to be cautious in our dealings, even when it's with members who we think we have some sense of. Be it here or anywhere else on the net.
    To that end, my posting serves it's purpose - as a reminder.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, Dave

NewTyer 1 Guest

The first thing I would do, and I know it has been a long time and he should have contacted you. Is to contact him, find out why he renigged on his part of the deal and ask him to make good. Maybe(and only giving him the benefit of the doubt) he came back to hopefully make contact with you and make things right. If he refuses or doesn't contact you, make him aware of your intension on here and other sites and then post his info. but, I would definately give him the opportunity to do what's right first. He may have forgotten after this much time and that's why he's posting again. Just my $.02

Unlike eBay and similar sites there are no rating systems in the classified. Because of that I feel his or her handle should be released to give others the information necessary to make an informed decision.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I think it's best to work through the Admins on this. I have confidence that Denny can sort out the situation and take the appropriate action. Either the guy will be willing to compensate Dave E after all this time or not. There are certain liabilities associated with putting the man's name out there that have to be considered.

Whatever happens, the man has to have recognized from this thread that all has not been forgotten.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Hey Dave, I am glad that you took the time to post this..........a couple of years ago there was a young man on here posting that was new to fly fishing and was looking for a rod......for his Dad .............and some gear..........well...........I bit............I not only sent him a rod, reel and some gear............in exchange he was going to "tie me up a load of flies"........well the flies never came and I never received any more replies to my emails. He just dropped off of the face of the earth. I learned a good lesson with that experience and it probably won't hinder me from helping someone else in the future.........which I have, but I certainly will do more checking before I take the leap.
    I did not take the time to post as you did, but in retrospect, I should have as now I wonder if anyone else ponied up some free gear for the hmm...ficticious "Dad".

Since the thread is not locked...YET...I'll make some comments. I'm new to this board but have been on other boards for quite awhile. I've seen these kind of things play out until someone begins to make threats and others make accusations. It never goes well. In the past I've twice sent a rod to a fellow fisherman with no intention of a sale but just because I was able to do it. I have often bought things I would not normally have bought except someone help fast. I have never offered to lend someone money, be it kids or friends. I've given them money to help them out at the time and the only way to keep from getting angry is to consider it a gift, and if it does find it's way back that's a plus.

There was a time when I had to hook up with someone else to fish because I couldn't afford gas to fish and to get to work. I remember those times. I hope the person you have dealt with will step up and fulfill his end of the agreement. If not I would not "out" him on a bulletin board but might pm someone working on a deal with them. Just my .02...or is it .05, prices have gone up.

Nick

Yes, thank you, I would want to know who to be aware of. Better to learn from others than learning on my own.

I would not "out" him on a bulletin board but might pm someone working on a deal with them. Just my .02...or is it .05, prices have gone up.
    Chances are, you will never see "someone working on a deal" on the forum. A lot that goes on is in the form of a PM. 80% of what's in my inbox is wheelin and dealin.

I've got to come down on the side with Bill H and PA Dave... The admins can better handle this as opposed to starting a public brawl of "he said, he said." Those never come out well, and they lower us all into the abyss that some "other" websites seem to wallow in...

One last point... It's not always a clear-cut case of one or the other parties being a dirt-bag! I've had a buyer or two whine so much about "wanting more" for their money-- and you guys know that my "hook/fly" sales always net you MORE than is listed --that I finally sent them some "extras" just to be rid of them. The same goes on during purchases as well. I've bought in for a certain item, only to receive less than what was supposedly being offered. Sad... truly sad!!

As has been pointed out previously, it's written off to the world in which we live. But, we fly-wranglers have the power to change things and renew the "old ways" of being true to our word, respectfull, honest and stead-fast, even if it IS only in our little corner of the world...

So sayeth hairwing530 on this Tuesday morning...

+ Reply to Thread