Thread: Watercress Discovery

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Default Watercress Discovery

It was a bright sunny day today so I wandered and did a little scouting. I took a different way back to the car and stumbled upon a head water watercress paradise. My Aunt eats watercress all the time and sings the praise of this miraculous weed or edible to some folks.

I looked at Wikipedia and cut and pasted some information about Watercress.

Watercress is one of the oldest known leaf vegetables consumed by humans. It is botanically related to garden cress, mustard and radish ? all noteworthy for a peppery, tangy flavor.

Watercress contains significant amounts of iron, calcium, iodine, and folic acid, in addition to vitamins A and C.

Many benefits from eating watercress are claimed, such as that it acts as a stimulant, a source of phytochemicals and antioxidants, a diuretic, an expectorant, and a digestive aid. It also appears to have antiangiogenic cancer-suppressing properties; it is widely believed to help defend against lung cancer. A 2010 study conducted by the University of Southampton found that consumption of watercress may also inhibit the growth of breast cancer.

It seemed really odd to see such bright green vegetation in the stream with snow as its back drop. This watercress stream seemed to end up against a hill so I followed it to the source. It was a huge spring coming out of the hill subsurface. I am willing to bet that watercress needs spring water and a constant temperature year round. I am really attracted to "THERMALS" because they typically attract trout. This was the reason I checked out this stream at all.

I took a couple of photos and was ready to leave and I saw what I thought was some movement in the open lane between the watercress. I tried to take a photo but I couldn't capture what I saw.

You will have to wait until opener of trout season for me to show you what I saw hiding in the watercress.
    Last edited by spinner1; 02-14-2013 at 03:13 AM.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius