+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bifocals or other glasses solution ? Help!

Hybrid View

Default Bifocals or other glasses solution ? Help!

okay, well I'm 45. My vision is still pretty darn good (don't wear glasses to see). When I try and tie on small flies, I can see the fly fine, however,
    now when I look up, everything else in the distance is really blurry and it takes a long time for that to go away. That is not good when you are trying to see a #22 midge emerger in a foam line.

I'm not really that knowledgable about bifocals, etc... and all the available products out there.

Should I carry a pair of reading glasses with me? (that seems like more crap to carry). Do they make "bifocal" non-prescription Sunglasses?

What do people do? Carry an extra pair of glasses? Or are most older guys wearing prescription bifocals. I don't need glasses to see in my everyday life, it's just the strain of looking at something close up. When I tie flies I use the hobby magnifying glasses, and I use reading glasses to read.

Vision is probably the first thing to go, I hope I don't need the little blue pills anytime soon.

thanks for your help.

M
    Last edited by markgraumlich; 02-09-2013 at 05:18 PM.

A friend finally went for a visit to the optomerist. After checking his eyes the Doc moved the apparatus away and said to him "You're 43 aren't you?" My friend say "Yes, how did you know that?" The Doc replied "Everyone who needs this prescription is 43." I'm guessing you beat him by 2 years. It sounds like you are bassawkard from most folks, who can still see the size 22 dry fly on the water but cannot tie it on. Check your insurance plan and make an appointment, there are some great choices available now.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    . It sounds like you are bassawkard from most folks, who can still see the size 22 dry fly on the water but cannot tie it on.
    I can tie it on, I just can't see clearly afterwards! (at a distance). But yeh, probably bassawkward.

Mark-

I think you're probably going to need to supplement the up-close work with something, it's just a matter of what option to choose. There are non-prescription sunglasses with magnifier/reader lenses on the bottom. Likewise, there are little stick-on reader lenses that I've seen in Cabela's and other catalogs that are designed to be added to the bottom of your ordinary sunglasses. I haven't tried either, but from what I've read, gather that they work pretty well with one notable issue. I've read some complaints from people who use them, describing distortion when they start wading and instinctively look down through their sunglasses, only to find the stream bottom made blurry by the magnifiers. I tried those magnifiers awhile back that clip onto the top of your sunglasses and flip down and, while I like the concept, found that the curvature of most of the fishing sunglasses we wear as well as the relative thickness of the plastic frames (as compared to wire frames) mean the clip-on apparatus never really stays steady. Short of keeping a drugstore pair of reading glasses around your neck, I think the best solution may be the type that clips under the visor of your cap and then folds down when you need it. Not exactly the best in terms of "Me? No, I'm not old" discretion, but at some point I guess we have to swallow our pride on that kind of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by markgraumlich View Post

Should I carry a pair of reading glasses with me? (that seems like more crap to carry). Do they make "bifocal" non-prescription Sunglasses?
    For only a few bucks you can find a pair of really cheap readers at a drug store or dollar store and try them out. (I found a pair for $3 recently.) They come in a lot of different magnification strengths so you may want to try a couple of different ones. Different ones are better at different focal lengths, and the best strength for reading distances may not be what you prefer for closer work like tying flies or tying flies to tippets. Carrying readers around isn't as convenient as a clip-on for your hat, but you can use the cheap ones to find the best strength for your particular need before buying something more convenient like a clip-on or bifocal sunglasses. (And you can always hang them around your neck like a librarian when you don't need them.)

Once you find a strength you like, yes, you can get non-prescription sunglasses with bifocal magnifiers. I got mine at Bass Pro for about 20 bucks. They are good for reading at the beach, too.
    Last edited by moucheur; 02-13-2013 at 11:27 AM.

I'm not an expert by any means, however, it sounds to me as if your eyes are having to work very hard to focus on the up-close work of tying on the fly. Then it takes a while for them to "re-focus" at a distance. My advice would be to get a pair of reading glasses at the dollar store and see if wearing them while tying on the fly puts less strain on your eyes and, therefore, easier to get your distance vision back. This "experiment" will only set you back $1.00. That will help you decide on your next step whether that be a prescription of some sort or sunglasses with magnifiers, or whatever.

I will add that, like many folks, once I hit my 40's, it became obvious that bifocals were in order (I had been wearing glasses since grade school and contact lenses since college). I now wear "multi-focal" contacts (somewhat like bifocal glasses but work a bit differently. They are GREAT for everyday use. However, I still struggle with seeing clearly at very close distances like tying on a fly. Since I started putting on a pair of dollar store reading glasses OVER my multi-focal contact I can tie on a fly in half the time and it really has increased my enjoyment of fly fishing.
    Last edited by Royce; 02-13-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: addition

At around 47 I had the same issue. For sometime now I have been using HatEyes to ease the eye strain at the tying bench and stream side. They come in a variety of magnification and neatly fold into the brim of a hat.

Link to HatEyes>> http://www.mageyes.com/hateyes.htm
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I've tried quite a few different options. I think this is very individualized preference like rod action or vest / pack choice where you need to see what works best for you. The easiest place to start is to pick up some inexpensive reading glasses (about $10) at a local store. These are non-prescription and run from around 1.5 - 2.5 magnification, so you can choose the magnification that works best for you.

Everybody has different experiences and preferences in this area. My advice is to start with a professional eye exam. They are not expensive. At the end of it, ask the doctor what your options are for the next year. Specifically ask him about reading glasses, the cheapest option, or magnifiers.

You might need more, though, especially if you have astigmatism. Then you have a range of options including bifocals and progressives. I prefer progressives. I liked contact lenses until I got to dry and windy Colorado, where they were painful. Contacts also offer the option of having one eye set up for distance and one for close up. (This works, believe it or not, for most folks.) If you end up with prescription glasses, you can get polarized sunglasses that fit over them. I did that for awhile, then went to a chain that always sells two pairs of glasses for $99 and got one regular pair and one pair of prescription sunglasses.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Get yourself a pair of clip on magnifiers that clip on your ball cap when fishing. That will help you thread the fly. For water times, maybe some reading glasses will be fine. In the meantime, go have an eye exam. You should have one done once a year any way.

+ Reply to Thread