+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dry fly hackle twisting

Hybrid View

Default Dry fly hackle twisting

Good morning ,

I have a couple of expensive skins that the feathers twist horribly when I wrap them. Nothing I do helps. One is my "high grade" grizzly the other a nicely colored furnace hackle. They look like great feathers, long, good number and size of barbs. Both skins, I thought, would have a lifetime of feathers in them. I don't want to mention the brand, but they are from one of the very popular names in hackle.

The flies I tie with them look like a "ball" of hackle rather then a nice neat "collar". I have caught fish with them, but they look a sketchy at best. I talked to the fly shop where I bought one of them, and got a lecture on how to wrap hackle. No offer to look at said skin or offer to return or exchange.

Question;

Should I just discard these two skins (my estimate replacement cost about $250+) and buy new ones?

Just suck it up and do my best with them?

Thanks,

SCG
    Last edited by stcroixguy; 02-10-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Clarification.

SCG,

First thing I'd check is to make sure you have a smooth thread base for wrapping the hackle; uneven or bumpy will make it difficult to get a neat wrap. Do you have any pics of flies you've tied with the hackle? Any pics of an individual hackle to see if it's excessively cupped? I've got a few capes with cupped hackle (I picked them up at bargain prices, maybe $10 each) that aren't the easiest to work with, but, with a little coaxing, will produce acceptable flies.

Regards,
    Scott

SCG,

Those necks can be a real pain, and a big disappointment when having shelled out serious money for a quality (debatable in this case) genetic neck.

If the stems of the hackles do not play ball, it may be time to change the pitch.

On a hard surface, even a level hard surface, they may (will) flip and end up as you described.

Try a slender bed of a softer material, such as a skinny layer of dubbing, and you may find these feathers behaving much nicer.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

The grizzly feathers twist horribly no matter the base, be it bare hook, dubbing or parachute post. I have tried everything. Hackle pliers, stripping one side, "pre bending",twisting the opposite direction while wrapping, pre soaking, none of the feathers wrap worth a s***. (Sorry)

The furnace hackle is better, some of the smaller feathers are better, but still a pain.

My other necks and packaged feathers are fine. Problem is the grizzly and furnace are the two colors I use most.

Other then actually tying a fly with a feather from the neck, how does one make sure , before you buy it, that the feathers are not going to twist like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Weilenmann View Post
    SCG,

Those necks can be a real pain, and a big disappointment when having shelled out serious money for a quality (debatable in this case) genetic neck.

If the stems of the hackles do not play ball, it may be time to change the pitch.

On a hard surface, even a level hard surface, they may (will) flip and end up as you described.

Try a slender bed of a softer material, such as a skinny layer of dubbing, and you may find these feathers behaving much nicer.

Cheers,
    Hans W

Other than actually test tying a feather you have three alternatives:
    1)This is not a sure fire way but it may give some indication - Hold a feather out from the skin and form a circle. See if the stem flips. If it does, don't buy.
    2)Make sure the hackle is from a reputable and established breeder.
    3)Get a guarantee. A reputable breeder will back up his skins.
    I'm hesitant about recommending a breeder but I will because I've dealt with him for a long time, he has an excellent flock, and he guarantee his feathers - Charlie Collins, Pine City, NY
    I've dealt with Denny, also an excellent flock, here on FAOL for a long time and I'm sure he guarantees his too.
    Both great to deal with.

Oh, as far as what you already have: 1)try to return to the seller/breeder; 2)toss it because it doesn't get any better; 3)live with it; and 4)sell it on ebay.

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 02-09-2013 at 06:12 PM.

This is the very reason that I only buy saddles stems are hot as stiff and they don't twist.

+ Reply to Thread