No names, that was not the point of this thread. I do have other hackle from the same brand and it is GREAT, also, the dealer I bought them from is wonderful and I have had very good experiences with.

For clarity, the $250 cost I implied was not what I paid, rather my estimate of what top grade replacement hackle would cost. Mabel I over estimated the cost at today's prices. The point I was trying to make was that I paid good money for something that is frustrating me to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Moscow View Post
Before you 'toss' them, wash the whole neck in warm soapy water. Dish detergent will do fine. Rinse really well and then blow dry it. I've dyed hackles, on the skin and off and the warm, actually, hot (95C) water straightens them out. Years ago, I bought some black dry fly hackle that had been wound up and put into one of those 1x2x3" plastic cases. The stuff was so twisted I nearly tossed it but after a wash and dry it was fine. Steaming is a good alternative, as AA suggested, but I find washing and drying easier.