+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New High Tech Coating

Hybrid View

Default New High Tech Coating

Just let your imagination run wild with all the things you can do with this stuff. If you buy the two part material and mix your own it's a little over $155 per quart, but super glue is still close to $95 per quart in small tubes.

Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Imagine opening all of your dry fly boxes on a work bench. Pass the air brush once over all the boxes. BOOM!! No floatant needed...and your boxes repel water at the same time!
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I wonder how long the coating lasts?
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    I wonder how long the coating lasts?
    I think the info on the material mentions abrasive may affect the effectiveness of the coating. What do you think a coating on mated smooth surfaces would do.

According to the website, the color is a translucent white and they do not have a transparent coating at this time.

Here is the link to the website............great looking stuff. http://www.spillcontainment.com/everdry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    Imagine opening all of your dry fly boxes on a work bench. Pass the air brush once over all the boxes. BOOM!! No floatant needed...and your boxes repel water at the same time!
    Rumor has it that Rancid Crabtree was an early test subject after an unwarranted bath washed off his protective crust...

Ed

I told my pastor at the Baptist church I attend about this product. He was quite concerned about misuse by the Methodist.

Google "hydrophobic nanotechnology" and you will get a lot of hits. There are companies working on using this for waders and outdoor clothing.

I wonder if ski wear can be a problem. They tried super slick skiwear about 30 years ago and if skiers fell, there was not enough friction of stop the skiers. That trend didn't last too long!
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Something that didn't occur to me until just a minute ago is using it to coat fly lines. Casting might be better but more to the point, lifting the line off the water might create less disturbance. I wonder if it damages fly lines &/or leader material. That might be great stuff for furled thread leaders.

If one sprayed too far down a line or leader, it might make knots highly questionable.

Perhaps it will become the next practical joke, coating friends tippet material, brooms, etc... Perhaps if Sisyphus ever gets his boulder to the top of the hill, his next task will be to tie a couple of dozen bead head nymphs using beads liberally coated with the stuff.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread