+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Harvest

Default Squirrel Harvest

Without getting into how, where and why, I make weekly squirrel harvest of from 2 to 5 animals. Are their tails any good and/or are they useful in fly tying. Not yet a tier, I would swap these tails for tied flys. We could work out the trade. If anybody is interested, lemme know.

------------------
    Thanks and Gig'em
    Mark Fairchild

Hi MarkF,

Squirrel Tails and pelts are excellent sources for fly tying material so keep what you can. I'm sure you'll find someone to trade with you (I'm in New Zealand and bringing in animal pelts is too complicated). What kind of squirrels are they? (Gray, Fox, Pine, Black?)

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Good grief,,, what is it that you do???

Mark and I are from the same town, and, well, there is not much to do here. Squirrels are a new import to the area, and they have begun to thrive, REALLY thrive. My guess is Mark is just, er, keeping them out of his attic (with a pellet gun).

I will confess to listening for the telltale CLUNK as I drove very near one yesterday. Deep down I was hoping to hear it...I was in a secluded area and I could have made a quick recovery. Alas, my half-hearted attempt at avoiding the critter was successful.

I don't know Mark, nor how he is getting his "material", but I bet I'm close with my guess. BTW, there is no squirrel season here, just as there is no rabbit season.

Say... are rabbits good too?

Tyler

I'm hoping that my imagination is just running a little wild and OFF today. But "harvesting" squirrels and the site I saw about "squirrel fishing" (more like teasing squirrels with a line tied to some food) and reading this on a fishing site just combined in a twisted way.

...now I'm curious just as JC...

-Pemi

Tyler: You sir are very incredibly close, off by only the mereist of trifles. I forgot, we do varmint control for several of the cotton farmers here and harvest literally hundreds, possibly thousands of cotton tails and Black Tailed Jack Rabbits (which are really hares). I wonder to whom one would make contact for those?

Yo Tyler, email me and lets go fishin'. Hit JBT for gills and it was a disaster. Thinkin' about Lk Champion by Colorado City.

------------------
    Thanks and Gig'em
    Mark Fairchild

Squir'elles cain be ett!

If you don't want to take the time to skin the squirrels, then consider plucking them. I discovered this a few years ago while "processing" a large Fox squirrel. Simply grasp a large bunch of fur between your thumb and finger and give it a sharp tug in the opposite direction the fur was facing, usually towards the head. The fur will come right out and in about 10 minutes you will have a nice big bag of terrific dubbing material and one naked squirrel. I think you may find more takers for you swap if you offered bags of squirrel dubbing. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

When in season here...and it won't be long now!!! I take quite a few...and never run out of uses for the whole of the hides..

Since you'll be in excess at some point I'd be willing to bet a number of tyers on this board would be willing to work with you...
    Some nearer you might even give you an oppertunity at a vise before you ever spend a penny to see what you think of tying your own flies!!

My Grandmother expects a certian number for Shak'in & bak'in and pot pie each year...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Squirels, hares... you need to post on FAOL Fly Tying page and I'm sure you'll have your share of fur traders in quick response.
    -Just saw someone requesting sqirrel tails on "Wanted" board.
    -You can also offer it in For Sale/Trade board.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn

[This message has been edited by Wednesday Caster (edited 16 July 2006).]
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread