I'd like to weigh in here, if I may. Jim Hatch is exactly right. Let's look at it from the Game Wardens side. Have you ever seen people that intentionally will swerve to hit an animal? I have and have prosecuted them for various charges such as hunting from a public road, hunting in closed season,etc.. If that law was not there, everyone would be hunting the roads and saying it was an accident.
As for the birds and feathers, there are only six species of birds that are NOT protected in Texas. The rest are and possession of those birds, their parts and feathers is illegal. The federally protected birds carry a stiff penalty as well as the state protected ones. As someone mentioned earlier, garage sales are a great place to find feathers and furs. Womens hats and clothing are the greatest source for me to obtain many tying materials.
Flytyers are ingenious folks, to say the least, so a legal way to procure these items is out there.
Check your state Game and Fish regulations and also be mindful of the Federal regulations.
I enjoyed the article and am guilty of having a small tool box with the necessary tools to procure legal tying materials. My girls are used to me pulling over to get a squirrel tail,etc.

Andy

------------------
all types of fishermen must pull together for the good of all!!!