+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking hackle pliers with large thumb pads

Default Seeking hackle pliers with large thumb pads

I have an older friend who ties a lot of flies and is finding most hackle pliers hurt his fingers. I have suggested (and he has tried on his own) all the usual 'tweezer' style. The only ones he finds comfortable are the electric clip style.
    There is a thread bobbin with a large thumb pad. Does anyone know who sells a hackle plier (#1067 in the pic) of the same design?
    Thanks, Greg
    Last edited by Greg H; 02-09-2013 at 03:20 AM.

I have two of those one larger than the other....the pads on both are not all that large.

Orvis did sell some like that. Also he may look at the Bull Dog artery clamp, that's what I tie with. I got mine from Joe Fox at http://www.dettetroutflies.com. You'll have to call him or email him as he does not list them on his web page.

There's not much out there,,,maybe this??? http://www.intheriffle.com/store/Tie...le-Pliers.html
    nam

NewTyer 1 Guest

I like the first set with the finger pads on them. I think the pads are good to clamp your materials with but, a loop is still the way to go as far as wrapping your materials unless, you use a rotary vise.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I got mine at Orvis like these had to clean up the tips a bit with emery cloth but they are nice and will last forever I would guess.

Kevin

Thanks for all the suggestions. My friend is seriously looking at the brass thumb-pad models and we will see if anyone has them at the Midwestern Fly Expo in March (when we travel down from Toronto). Otherwise I guess he will order them from England (he is a fan of all fly gear British - as the home of fly fishing in his view) because for Canadians there is less duty and tariff when ordering from there (who said there was a North American Free Trade Act?).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. My friend is seriously looking at the brass thumb-pad models and we will see if anyone has them at the Midwestern Fly Expo in March (when we travel down from Toronto). Otherwise I guess he will order them from England (he is a fan of all fly gear British - as the home of fly fishing in his view) because for Canadians there is less duty and tariff when ordering from there (who said there was a North American Free Trade Act?).
    Greg

Make sure you stop in and say hi. Jack Hise and I will be there furling leaders again. If I see any of those pliers while I am there, I will be sure to let you know.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread