+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Related Post: What size jig heads for Bluegill and Crappie/Fished on a Fly Rod

Hybrid View

Default Related Post: What size jig heads for Bluegill and Crappie/Fished on a Fly Rod

I should have made that clear on my previous post. What size jig heads do you recommend for throwing with a fly rod.

Again, it depends on what size rod you will be using. If you're using a 7 wt rod, you can comfortably cast a 1/32 oz jig-head fly. If you're using a ligher rod like a 5wt or a 3 wt, you'll find that the heavier jig-heads are no fun to cast. You'll either end up lobbing them out there with wide open loops or doing the chuck-n-duck routine to avoid getting hit by the fly. Beleive me a weighted fly is really moving when it zips by you ear or pops you in the back of the head. There have been a lot fly rods damaged or broken when a weighted fly hits the rod, especially if it happens to hit with the point of the hook which can shatter a graphite rod. I would recommend you try the 1/124oz or perhaps the 1/80th oz jig-heads like the ones from Cabela's in this link before trying the heavier weight jig heads. Just my two cents worth.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fly-T...h-All+Products

Jim Smith

I won't use over a 5wt. and probably go with a 4 wt. because that's the fun of it for me, feeling that fish bend the rod.
    Thanks, James

Personally I find using unweighted jig hooks like the TMC 403BLJ or similar work much better for tying jig type flies. You can add your own weight, if desired. to the hook. I believe J.Stockard sells these types of hooks too.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

I use 1/80 oz. on a 3 wt with no problems.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

I use 1/124, 1/80, and 1/32 depending on conditions and expected fish. I use both the standard fly jigheads like those sold by Cabelas and the Super Jigheads. Both are sourced from Wapsi. I like the standard jig heads because the gold aberdeen hooks can often be pulled free from snags and the hook bent back into shape. The super jig heads have a wide gap, sharper, mustad black nickle hook that is very stout. These are less likely to bend and pull out if a large carp, bass, or catfish is hooked in a hard part of the mouth, however if they get stuck they can be more difficult to retrieve. I have my shop get both kinds for me in bags of 100 as this is more cost effective than the standard packages of 12. I then share them with other anglers.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    I should have made that clear on my previous post. What size jig heads do you recommend for throwing with a fly rod.
    Let's clarify what you refer to as a jig head. Is it the moulded and painted fish head on a jig (90 deg hook bend) and a rubber premoulded curly tail or minnow body affixed or is it the 90 deg hook bend with a lead ball moulded onto the bend to which you dress up as a fly?
    If the objection above by Gigmaster is the moulded weight what about a bead or bead chain tied at the bend on a previously unweighted not premoulded hook?
    I personally like the 60 deg bend on a hook to allow a hook up ride, would that be a jig??

I bought some size 12- 1/124 oz. plain lead, round ball jigs. I thought I'd dress them the same way I dress any fly. I call that a jig fly. That's just my opinion.

OK, so because the fly has a moulded ball/weight on the hook it is not acceptable to be classified as a fly by some!!!???
    My 2 cents is that using a "jig" fly is is still fly fishing even if some use a similarly designed hook & weight for conventional fishing. The weight you use is dependent on the weight fly rod you are using, heavier the fly heavier the rod. The weight 1/124 oz I would comfortably use with my 2 weight fly rod and possibly 1/80 oz.

Jig fly for blue gill is equivalent to Czech nymph for trout.

+ Reply to Thread