+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Getter Downer & Wading Staff

Default Fly Getter Downer & Wading Staff

Seems that others get their flies caught in the trees too. For years I thought that I was the only one.

Nope, there are definately others and probably lots of them. They are too ashamed to admit it and go to great lengths to cover up that fact...at least thats how it was with me.

Old guys like me probably are the worst or were at one time. When a kid I was asked "Kid, what are you doing way up there in that tree"...I displayed great presence of mind and answered "picking apples sir".

"Well, ya better get back down. It'll be another two months before they're ripe. Oh Ho Ho, ya lucky brat...the wind just blew your fly down outa there."

When I started tying I'd just give the line a pull and tie on another fly and sometimes I'd get my fly back too. Now that I'm in retrogression due to age, I find myself going back to childhood methods...not climbing trees mind you, but making an effort to retrieve my fly in tact. (It has become more trouble and time consuming to tie on another fly).

I now use my wading staff made from a ski pole on which I have whipped a heavy steel hook near the bottom. With this I grab the offending branch and bend it down so I can remove the fly. This hook has a number of other uses...

1. It serves as a weight to hold the end of the staff in a vertical position when attached to the ring on the back of my vest.
    (more on this later)

2. When getting out of the stream or up a bank it can be hooked around a sapling or tree root to help while climbing.

The staff, fashioned from an aluminum ski pole balances my vest very well, supplying a weight on the back that equals the weight of junk carried in the front. (you will not have a chafing problem on your neck due to your vest). I don't carry a net but if I did, I'd carry it at my waist.

HOW TO MAKE A WADING STAFF THATS BETTER THAN ANY YOU CAN BUY FOR LESS THAN 1/10th THE COST.

If that sounds like old Herter, good, he wasn't wrong all the time. Ski poles are available in profusion from thrift stores in my area. I paid $5 for a good pair about 10 years ago. I gave one away and I'm still using the other one.

HERE'S HOW IT's DONE

Attach a piece of 1/8 inch cord to the ring on the back of your vest. Tie a loop in the end so that it hangs about 12 inches below the ring.

Here's the good part...Wish I could claim its invention but can't though I doubt that it has been patented.

3. About 17 inches down from the top of the handle,lash half the wooden part of a spring clothes pin (usually hard maple) so that the part you squeeze is at the top and whipped to the shaft. Toss the spring and other half of the clothes pin. This leaves a tight "V" into which you jam the cord.

In use, you reach over your shoulder and bring the cord around to the front and jam it tightly between the "V". Then swing the staff around to the back where it hangs vertically... (because of the hook's weight). You'll never know its there until needed and all you do to put it into action is reach over your shoulder and bring it around front and pull the cord out of the clothes pin (actually a jam cleat to a sailor).

I do not use a lanyard at all and have never lost the staff. A lanyard is more hassle than what they can possibly be worth IMHO.

Manufacturers, do the flyfishers a favor and bring this innovation to market. It could be made to expand too.

Ol' Bill

[This message has been edited by snipe (edited 12 July 2006).]

I like your idea and will try one out. To get the big boys to start producing and marketing them may be a ways off. Everyone needs one or two rods, reel, ets. Not everyone wants or would use a wading staff. But I have an idea...if the State DNR/Fish&Game departments latch on that safety is more important than fishing and make everyone that steps foot in a stream or lake have one...wolah!! They will be made and you will see lots of them> I will remember, it was your idea first. Promise.

Snipe;
    In my shed are skis and poles, left overs from a garage sale and given to me. I don't ski and forgot all about them untill now!!
    Being a doddering old timermy self but a retired engineer and one time sail boat racer I can use your instructions to build 2 wading staffs!!
    Is it possible to email me a photo? I'm interested in the hook size. Not that I ever, ever catch a tree!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

Bill,
    Good ideas...us more mature folks...[G]...learn to use every trick in the book...does get a little harder to climb those banks doesn't it....anyway...a few things...

I use a ski pole left over from my sking days that has a very nice grip that has a platform that the palm rests against...gives one something to push against...very comfortable....if you get a chance to get one of those I recommend it....

and...I think but am not sure... that my takes went down as I started to clank the metal tip against rocks as I was wading...I make sure now the tip is covered with a rubber bumper....that's not worn through...

I haven't used a hook but may have to try it....Another advantage to the weight you mention...is that if you let the staff hang at your side from a belt when not in use it hangs vertically in the water and does not get tangled with line , etc.

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

Well I feel better now knowing that I'm not the only person that uses a wading staff...and not just for wading. I've only started fly-fishing this year, but have not seen any other people use one. I haven't gone to the lengths of putting a hook on the end to pull branches down, but I have used it to reach my flies and to "assist" the trees in giving it back.

I actually use a collapsible aluminium hiking pole, the last thing I ever expected to use it for was fly-fishing.

-Pemi

Hi,

There can be one benefit of "tree catching".

On two occasions while fishing the Ngonataha Stream had my cast end up in the same tree behind me. However, upon tugging on the fly, down she came. And, no kidding, my fly was caught and pulled back with it, a heavy glow bug and a trailing nymph combo!

So, that's 4 flies to me and about 1000 to the trees, but I'm catching up!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Duckster, Jack and Jonszee
    I built 2 about 10 years ago, intended to be used as boat hooks. (to catch stocking boxes as they drifted downstream) I also had a real honest to goodness boat hook that expanded to about 10 feet. It was apparent to those who used them that they were handy and people were leaning on them and using them to climb up the banks. The hooks I used
    were the standard hardware items designed to be threaded into wood. They are steel plastic coated, costing at the time about $1.00 each. I cut off the threaded portion and epoxied the whole wrap. The gap (gape?) of the hook is 2 inches and could probably be increased a bit. The poles are of excellent manufacture, the grip having a definate front and back. I had the hook placed so that it was on the outside when in use so as not to trip over it...but I've never had that as a problem even when used backwards. The turn of the hook is about 3 inches up from the tip. The jam cleat is on the opposite side of the hook and is placed 17 inches down from the top of the grip.

Its been a big help to me, even as a walking stick.

Duckster,
    The poles I bought at the thrift store are top shelf made in Italy and have the features you mention. When the staff is made as these are, you don't even know they are on your back at the ready.

I havn't tried hanging them by the hook at my belt but can see where that would be awkward since the handle would be draging and the tip would be poking you in the ribs.

Ol' Bill

Snipe, I'm with you. I saw a piece on the news today saying older people that have trouble walking may be candidates for Alheimzers. I guess it depends how much Irish Whiskey I have imbided, but at times I must be ready for the Alheizmers muesum....toung in cheek. You have a good thing, I need the security and I am looking forward to trying your invention. Thank you, Jonezee

I've been using an old X-country ski pole for wading for a few years. I worried about the sound the metal tip was making as I wandered up or down stream. Metal clanking against rocks couldn't be good.
    Got a crutch tip close to the diameter of the tip, put it in place and filled the gap with epoxy. Stood it up to distribute evenly. Been working fine for a couple years. A big loop of parachute cord on the handle goes over my head to keep from losing it. Good third leg!

Bill

------------------
    Name indicates where I fish and for what I fish.
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

Snipes last post. I never got to meet him, but you can see from this thread he was a genuine man. Thank you Snipe for sharing some of your time with me. Jonezee

+ Reply to Thread