Sport fishing column for Feb 4 to 11, 2013

Back when I was asked to be an assistant instructor of the soon to be Terry Fox Fly Fishing Club; I had not the slightest clue of how to begin or succeed in sharing the skills of angling. In fact the thought of instructing, intimidated me. My colleges were veteran teachers with coaching experience; I had neither of these skills. Never the less with a push from my wife I took up the challenge. Three years later I was the coordinator of two youth fly fishing clubs and fifty young enthusiasts.

In any volunteer endeavor; staff, instructors, and assistants come and go, which soon made it evident that a code of conduct for all members was needed, so everyone could work off the same page. To that end I penned the following poem and instituted it as the mission statement for both clubs.

Please!

Show me the way, so I can follow.

Push me and I will resist you.

Let me learn at my own speed.

Do not measure me with your yard stick, for I do not measure you with mine.

I did not ask you for your caviling, I asked you for your help.

Encourage me in my struggles, and I will be inclined to assist you in yours.

Share with me the pleasure I find in my accomplishments, and I will be glad to share yours with you.

Be my mentor, be my friend, show me the respect I am due as a person, and I will in turn respect you too.

The poem worked in setting a standard of conduct for the members of both clubs. Furthermore, I believe keeping these simple words in mind can raise the standard of conduct in any angler, who wishes to promote the best our sport has to offer. More next week.

The Report

Our lower mainland lakes are fishing slow to fair. Try a slow troll or retrieve, close to shore, with: Bloodworm, Chironomid, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, Big Black, Doc Spratley, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River sloughs and backwaters are good for cutthroat and dolly varden. For cutthroat Try: Rolled Muddler, Professor, Anderson Stone, Black Stone, Zulu, American Coachman, Flesh Fly, or Chez Nymph. For dolly varden try large (size #4 to 2) Eggo, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Tied Down Minnow, Roller Muddler, Dolly Whacker, Big Black, Kaufmann Stone, or Flesh Fly.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat and rainbow. For rainbow try: Kaufmann Stone, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Black Gnat, Souboo, Zulu, or Renegade.

The Chehalis River is fair to slow for steelhead, and rainbow. For steelhead try: Steelhead Nightmare, Kaufmann Stone, Polar Shrimp, GP, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Flat Black, or Steelhead Spratley.

The Vedder River is good for steelhead, rainbow, dolly varden, and cutthroat.