+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phones - A Revelation

Default Cell Phones - A Revelation

Group,

I was just thinking about 'Snipe'. I had seen him yesterday about 3:00pm and we talked about going fishing in the evening. He had some chores to attend to so he couldn't, but I did. Anyway, the thought just occured to me. What if we had gone fishing? What if we had and he had his stroke while we were on the river? How would I have gotten timely help? The answer is, I would have had to leave him and drive for a distance to find a phone, then drive back to his side. Minimum of 1/2 hour.

Revelation - A fully charged cell phone is among the most important pieces of a first aid kit as you should carry. In the event of an emergency, especially when you're by yourself or in an isolated location, your ability to communicate can be the difference between life and death! In fact, this afternoon I'm going to one of the cellular phone companies and getting one.

Now I'm not suggesting that cell phones should be ringing all along the river while people are fishing or that fishers need to conduct business or socialize by phone while astream. However, I am saying that a cell phone is as vital to the health, well-being and safety of fishers, hunters, hikers, etc. as any first aid kit and should be used in the context of first aid.

After this revelation I urge everyone to consider getting a cell phone to use as their own 'first aid life insurance communication' device. With any luck you'll never have to use it.

Edited based on comments below:
    Yes, companies and their signal coverage are not the same. Get the coverage you might anticipate. Regardless, wood isn't always available and smoke signals are difficult to translate. And for those who think cell phones should not be carried, I suggest you rethink your position.

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 14 July 2006).]

Allan,
    All very true...there is a problem though...depending on where you are fishing[or whatever] there may not be cell phone coverage...my friend and I run into this all the time...we go fairly remote...but you are right...it is very comforting when we know we have a signal..
    Consider that when you make a choice of companies ...their coverage can vary.

Allan, when you buy that cell phone be sure to ask first about their coverage areas --in detail.

The great majority of the places I fish out here don't have cell phone coverage. I usually have to drive to the nearest good sized community to make a call.

At a finger lakes cottage family reunion three years ago, there were four cell phones present. Mine was the only one that worked there. It was an older model; the newer ones couldn'tget the signal.

[This message has been edited by oldfrat (edited 14 July 2006).]

I very rarley have coverage when I am in my fishing areas but I usually have a phone in the van. If you are like me I do not recomend carrying your phone in your vest. If I have anything in my vest that I do not want to get wet I can almost guarantee I will take a spill.

------------------
    Born to fish forced to work.
    Alan

Great idea. Different companies have differing areas of coverage, but most are about the same. Think of all the violaters you can squeel on now and all the pizza you can order too!

Allan, RW here,

We just finished up the fourth annual Roscoe fish-in in June. At no time in no place on any of the streams or tribs I fished could I get a signal to call my wife or anyone else for that matter, even though a cell tower was clearlly visible on the mountain from the Roscoe diner. I've so far not had an emergency that required immediate contact to someone. On the other hand it costs me a fortune to call my wife from Roscoe or just about anywhere out of the Catskills on a land line. And I've had that problem in a lot of places that caused a great deal of inconvenience. I think the way things are set up now that cell phones suck, at least as far as my need for them. I still travel with one though, and your point is valid....as soon as they get the damn cell companies to work together and straighten out the problems and the dropped calls, etc. etc. I guess half a loaf is better than none.

Later, RW

------------------
    "Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." <John Gierach>

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 17 July 2006).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

I almost never have cell coverage where I fish. I never carry it for that and other reasons.

The cell companies coverage maps are ALWAYS a bit exaggerated but it wouldn't deter me from getting one if I didn't have one.

When I do fish with buddies, I have the Walkie-Talkies along. While I can't reach the outside world with them, I can stay in touch and there is always the chance I can pick up another persons channel and communicate with them in an emergency.

Get well Snipe!

8. Default

Very Good Advise! Cell phones have saved a lot of lives in the PNW back country. I have used several carriers over the past contract years and found Verizon and Cingular do best.

These phones do work by "line of sight" and that means you may have to get up out of that river for it to work!

While I often fish spots where there is no coverage, I keep the cell available in the Jeep, because, most often, I am nearer cell coverage than physical help. Given that, it STILL is faster, in most cases, than going without.
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I carry the cell phone too, but as mentioned, especially here in Michigan, it doesn't always work. However, I have a powerful ham radio in my truck and with the repeater network, hams all over Michigan ,not to mention the entire U.S. I seldom have a problem getting through. I have used it more for others than for myself. In otherwords, there always is someone out there to help when help is needed. I have trained my friends how to use it in an emergency. I hope they never have to. Fellow hams, my call is KG7FS, if you ever hear me, say hello.

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 14 July 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread