+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bronson fly reels

Default Bronson fly reels

I mentioned these in Martin McFly's thread about his Bronson bait cast reel and thought I'd stick them on here. Sorry about the somewhat blurry photos; old hands and low light! The one on the right was made by Bronson for J.C. Higgins (Sears Roebuck). Maybe it's just me, but I sort of like the old red color scheme; I 've got a couple of red South Bends too!

There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I really like the old inexpensive fly reels and own some South Bends and Cortlands as well as Pfluegers. Those Bronsons would look good on older fiberglass rods. What rods do you usually use with them?

Good call on the fiberglass rods; these have spent many years on my Browning Silaflex. I've always wanted a nice Shakespeare Wonder Rod too; I keep looking but haven't found it yet. Actually the Royalist has been retired; the white plastic cover broke in two and I've super-glued it but I don't want to take a chance on breaking it again . I have two red South Bends too; one is on my South Bend bamboo rod; the other is, well, just around.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Wow - I have the exact same JC Higgins reel. I got it in the early 1960s along with a white Shakespeare Wonder Rod and a white level line that I think was a Wonderline. The line was total junk and I ended up using for bowfishing for carp. The rod was an uncastable broomstick that eventually developed stress cracks running parallel to the shaft and fell apart. The reel is still in use and just keeps on clicking.
    David

Humm, not a good recommendation for the Wonder Rod, huh?

+ Reply to Thread