hello all,

My friend enlisted me to deliver a load of barn wood with him close to Albany NY today, im not sure if the signs i was seeing were for the Catskill mountains, or the town of Catskill... or both..

Either way, he knows absolutely nothing about the world of fly fishing and tying, so naturally i jumped on the subject, for over an hour and a half, i tried explaining what materials are commonly used, and the different types of flies. (focusing primarily on Catskill flies) i touched on how wonderful the feeling is to catch a fish on the fly, (instead of a bobber) and how the catch and release has more depth to the meaning...(at least there is more depth in the meaning for me )

Anyway, i eventually started talking about Lee Wulff, and (to the best of my knowledge) told the story of how the man became the legend...

Now to get to the point of this story, does anyone know of any other major fly tying/fishing influences that originated out of the Catskills?

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that the Catskills are the birth place of fly fishing, and thus, where fly fishing originates from...(at least in the USA )

if there is any truth in that, anyone have an educated guess on what the first flies would have looked like? or what class they would fall into?(dry, nymph, streamer, etc.)

i'll enjoy reading your responses,
spoof

PS- To my udder disappointment, i never actually drove through the Catskills.