+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who invented the y2k fly

Hybrid View

Default Who invented the y2k fly

I got to meet the inventer of the y2k this week while on business in Georgia. He was nice enough to share a couple new patterns with me, which I plan on trying on the White in March for my annual family sowbug roundup trip. Each of my three little boys have tied y2k's, and I keep their first attempts in empty hook ziplock bags with their names on them for posterity. My wife also got behind my vise one trip and tied a few y2k's for me(her first and only fly tying experience). I put one on the next day and caught about a 5 lb rainbow. Whe I introduced myself, I did not get his name. Anyone happen to know who invented the y2k?

Thanks,

Jason

Here's the story as I heard it at a presentation by the inventor of the Y2K fly.
    The Lower Mountain Fork in Oklahoma has an annual one-fly tournament. You can use only one fly for the entire tournament and prizes are awarded on size and quantity. Many of the fish in the river are hatchery fish. One inventive fisherman (the speaker at the presentation) decided to create a fly representing a kernel of corn. The fly was wildly successful and he won handily.
    I would have disbelieved him if I had not experienced fishing in Missouri with my best flies for one fish in an hour when along came a local with a spin cast rod, a bobber and a can of corn. He took ten fish (the limit) in as many minutes while I continued to struggle for takes.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

Blog Entries

I did some searching on the old internet and as close as I can come to an answer to the question, "Who invented the Y2K fly" would be
    David Knowles of Arkansas. Here is a link to a video of a tyer demonstrating that egg pattern. In reality this fly pattern has been used for many years, often by gear fishers just possibly not given a name or maybe it is just because the name refers to a period of possible trouble, the name stuck with the fly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_qM_8v5XBI

Larry ---sagefisher---

David Knowles is the man. He is currently teaching a class at Clemson but it was mentioned during my conversation that he is from Arkansas. I googled him, and he is listed as a professor at the University of Arkansas. So the inventor of the y2k is Professor David Knowles. Thanks for the help. Be on the lookout for a couple new patterns from Mr. Knowles. I will be trying them on the Norfork and the White in March.

I developed the Y2K in November/December of 1999, hence the name. My name is David Knowles and live in Fayetteville, AR, but work on National Engineering and Land Surveying exams in Clemson, SC. I also tie Y2K's and some other patterns for Unicoi Outfitters in Helen, GA which is whereBedlam and I met the other week. In addition I tie Y2K's for Three Rivers Flyshop in SE Oklahoma. One of my most popular flies here on the White River in Arkansas is the Ruby Midge which I tie for Dally's Ozark Flyfisher in Cotter and Three Rivers Flyshop. Don't fish the White or Norfork without them. I only tie for flyshops, but other shops can order the Y2K from Umpqua.
    A friend just told me about this forum, and I look forwardto being a regular visitor.
    Last edited by DaveK; 02-03-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Welcome to FAOL Dave. You live in an area that I have often wanted to travel to and do some trout fishing and bass fishing. Maybe one of these years I will get down there.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

I thought it was Al Gore invented the Y2K . Welcome to the forum Dave.

caribe

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Welcome Aboard Dave;

Any pics of the so called y2k ? Yellow egg ?

Welcome Dave, thanks again for the flies! I will be trying them out in March with my family.

I have several pics, but this one in the Umpqua catalog (I think tied by me) is as good as any.
    http://umpqua.com/products/flies/eggs/y2k

+ Reply to Thread