+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alaska

Default Alaska

This is a dumb question but...

I am going to Alaska with a group that will be fishing deep water for kings and silvers. I would really like to take my 9 wt. fly rod and catch some of the Pinks that aren't so deep, although still run in the 60 foot water (I think). Problem is I don't know if this is even doable or allowed? Has anyone done this, and, if so how? I've only done this trip once before and it was all spin fishing.

BL

Absolutely bring a fly rod Lou. All the salmon species are catchable on the fly in the ocean. Coho often hang around near the surface as do the Pinks and sometimes the Chum's. The Chinook typically stay deeper BUT will come up and take flies. You need a fast sinking, very low diameter line to get it down and not fight the tidal currents. Ideally bring something in the 6+"/sec and something in the 2-3"/sec range. Squid, candlefish and herring patterns will work just fine.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/wettip.html:5810b]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/wettip.html[/url:5810b]

J.C. I have a Scientific Anglers W.T. in a #7 size I use on a 8.5 bamboo rod. Like you said, it really shots out. I am also impreseed how well they hold up. Big Lou, no dumb questions here...I spent four years in S.E. Alaska, you are set for a grand time. Take lots of pictures.

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 14 July 2006).]

Big Lou, the line recomended by J.C. is a great line and will get your fly down fairly deep, however to get down realy deep try a shooting head attached to some super braid as your running line. the braid will not slow down the sinkrate of your shooting head at all and will not be nearly as affected by the current due to its being very thin.
    A word of warning though, you will have to be very carefull not to get tangles in the braid and if you do hook a big fish while the braid is tangled round your hand there will be some serious cuts to sort out. A glove is a must! If this doesn't appeal then simply use amnesia or something similar.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Thanks for the info guys!

I have a SA Quad tip rig with a 15' fast sink tip. Will this work or do I need a full sink line?

Tell me more about the flys too please.

I really appreciate this!

BL

+ Reply to Thread