+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leader to Tippet: Is Double Uni OK

Default Leader to Tippet: Is Double Uni OK

I like and can tie a Double Uni knot fairly well. I like it better for leader to tippet than Surgeons because I do not have to pull all of that stinkin' small tippet through each time. Anyone have comments pro or con on this knots use for this purpose!

------------------
    Thanks and Gig'em
    Mark Fairchild

Mark,

I think the double uni is excellent. I use it for a variety of connections...that is when I've got a lot of time or just want to do something different...Probably for the majority of us it harder to tie than some others...I suspect it is one of the strongest and most reliable out there.

You can get a lot of varying opinions about knots.

Blood knot or surgeons depending on the characteristics of the actual tippet and leader material, as each have differing attributes. Until actual tests using the two knots I mentioned it is not smart to just say one or the other is best. Break strength, abrasion resistance, stretch etc. many things can b different. I always test both knots with each combination as I have seen some dramatic variances.

Gotta agree basically with that JC...

But I'm thinking that the characteristics of the double uni should cover a lot of those variances...different diameters, etc.

Seems like the double has a lot of the good qualities of the blood and fewer of the bad...

Sad to say I have no proof ...just seems to me intuitive according to it's qualities

My only proof, is that I have seen it change from one knot to the other depending on the 'combination' of materials joined. So, I do one of each, unless I forget.

I've been using the Double Uni since the days it was known as the "Double Grinner" and have had no reason to change.

I agree with J.C. that the Uni is not the Only knot for the job but this old dog has learned the trick of tying the uni so well, learning a new knot could be a strain "G"

But I admit to trying most NEW knots that I read of and some are great knots but for ease of tying,the Uni is my GO TO knot.Jax

------------------
    Getting Old has it's advantages. It slows you down just enough to get your timing for tightening into a trout Just Right.
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

Duck and Jax: the ayes have it (I counted so there) and I will keep doin' it. This sport is very knot specific and I do not want to do something I am knot supposed to (pun intended).

------------------
    Thanks and Gig'em
    Mark Fairchild

Been using this knot steadily right along from my spinning tackle days to present when and where a tippet portion is required with very few....Notice I said very few quick releases....lol..as attention is ALWAYS needed when tying ANY knot and I do get sloppy in the heat of the hatch, Sadly...

As well as the single AKA Duncan Loop for attachment to my fly,This is where I once in a great while will get the afore mentioned quick releases...Appears great care is needed when leaving the loop open a bit for added action to the fly.. also tends to allow slippage which can at times accelerate into complete knot failure.
    It still remains the fastest knot I can tie!!!

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 16 July 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread