+ Reply to Thread

Thread: North Georgia around Helen

Default North Georgia around Helen

Looking for info on fly fishing north Georgia around Helen. I've camped at the Unicoi State Park before but never fished up there. I know Smith Creek flows though the lake but I assume that creek get hammered pretty hard. What are some other creek and rivers for trout.

I've seen where Brigadoon Lodge is on the Soque River but that place is crazy expensive. Is there public access to the Soque anywhere?

Please help me out with other public access creeks and rivers in the area. Oh and time of year would be around March 11, 12, 13, 14

Thanks.

Smith Creek is a delayed harvest stream so it does get hammered but they put a ton of fish in it. Close by there is the Chattahoochee, it also gets hammered but again they put a lot of fish in it.
    There is also Dukes Creek that allows fishing on Wed, Fri and Sat by appointment., it's a State Park. You can contact Unicoi Outfitters in Helen and they will give you the scoop. They also have several pig streams like on the Soque that you can pay to fish.

If you're headed out this way, you might want to pick up the book by Jimmy Jacobs, Trout Fishing in North Georgia. It's a bit dated, but it's still very relevent and mentions quite a few of the less well-known creeks and streams and how to get to them. Here's a copy on half.com for $1.33 which is certainly worth the price.. http://product.half.ebay.com/Trout-F...125720&tg=info

Jim Smith
    Conyers, GA

I've fished Smith Creek and the Soque. Smith Creek does get hammered pretty hard, but there are a lot of fish in it due to stocking. It is worth fishing if you like small streams. I fished private water on the Soque and the fish were HUGE. Problem is, there is no public water to speak of, so you have to know someone or pay out the wazzu.

There is a forum that has a lot of information on North Georgia fishing along with stream reports. I think the link is http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

In my fly fishing & camping around and about that area, use to visit a little National Forest Campground just a little way out of Helen, called Low Gap Creek. Was good fishing and for the most part like those little National Forest C/G's - they certainly are scarce for amenities but that thins the crowd out and for the most part there are only fisherman. Also, the site rent is certainly inexpensive.

Anyway, here's a reference site that might help.

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/sou....htm#low%20gap

Here's the bad news lifted from the GA Fishing Regulations: There is no closed season for fishing in freshwater in Georgia except for the following:
    • Trout Season: Trout streams that are designated as seasonal trout streams are OPEN to fishing for any species from March 30– October 31, 2013 and from March 29– October 31, 2014. Seasonal trout streams are CLOSED to fishing for all fish species at all other times.

The good news is there are a number of good delayed harvest (catch & release only) streams. There are other private access streams that are more affordable than Brigadoon, unless you want to hang out with the head coach of the Falcons, Ted Turner, or someone like that. Go to http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/ngto/ and check on the lower section of the message board for some of the sponsor links. The guys at Unicoi Outfitters can direct you also.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread