+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cracked male ferrule repairable?

Default cracked male ferrule repairable?

The rod has served me well. Built 7 or 8 years ago it is a Hook and Hackle 7' 9" 3wt IM6 2pc. The male ferrule is cracked in 2 places length wise reaching perhaps about an inch from the end where the plug is. I would like to glue it and wrap it as you would a delaminated bamboo rod in an attempt to save it. What glue? would mono work to wrap it? As a last resort I guess I could make it a one piece. Again what glue? Thanks in advance.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I am wondering if it would fit into the female ferrule if that is done. I use gorilla glue for a lot of stuff and it seems very strong. I would use something that isn't fast drying as it will crack under pressure.

I cannot answer your question, but, have you contacted Hook and Hackle to see if they still have that section? I know it is a shot in the dark, but, it would be worth a try.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks NewTyer, that Gorilla glue is amazing stuff. Really, really messy but strong. I am sure I would have to sand it to get it back in. Warren I have not tried to replace the piece but if I am doing a new grip, seat etc. I might as well just shop for a whole new blank. I am leaning toward making it a one piece.

Blog Entries

Here's how to fix it.

On a butt section, use a heat gun to heat up the butt cap and remove it. Then procede as below.

on anything but the butt section, remove the plug and find a piece of broken rod that you can shove up the butt end and extends out the tip end. Mark that piece at the plug end and remove it. measure 3' down from your mark towards the fat end of your broken piece and cut it off. Use an epoxy like Rod Bond, ProBond, or even 30 minute epoxy from the hardware store and mix up a couple of M&M sized blobs one of resin, one of hardener. Use a toothpick or Q-Tip to put most of that epoxy in the tip end of teh broken piece. Drop your repair part in and use another section of rod or small dowel to push it down. Rotate it to assure full glue contact and seat it nice and snug without spreading your cracks. Clean things up with rubbing alcohol. Let it set, trim to match the section length, and fill the end with epoxy to form a new plug.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Thanks for taking the time to give me a very nice detailed response Kevin. I will see if I have a piece that will fit as that seems lime the best option.

+ Reply to Thread