+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tying vises

Default tying vises

Does anyone know anything about terra vises or griffin? I need to buy a vise but dont want to spend an arm and a leg. Just to tye a few flies for my self.

THANK YOU

STANDSTALL

my griffin spiderserved me well. Griffin offers great customer service.
    BillMc

I have 6 Griffin 2A vises that I have used with over 150 Boy Scouts and if kids cant break them no one can. My personal ones are a Griffin 3ARP and one Odyssey. I tend to use the 2A often.

I wouldn't buy anyting else --Lifetime guarantee on all.

Never heard of Terra

------------------
    Bill

You won't go wrong with a Griffin Vise !!!! wish I'd just stayed with my oddessey and saved the money I spent on a Dyna King for tying materials or a good trip out MI way.....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Bill, I love this Griffin you sold me. I bought a pedestal from Griffin for it. They do have great service.

------------------
    Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

Several years ago I bought a vise off of ebay that looks like a terra vise. It looks nice but is actually a terrible vise. It is not smooth at all and just won't hold hooks well. If you want it I'll give it to you for the shipping cost. I also have a Griffin 2A. It is a quality vise. I used it for a couple of years and it is now my backup. It is easy to adjust and will hold virtually any size hook with no slipping.
    It's a good value as well.
    But I'm a big fan of HMH. I have a HMH spartan. Just a great vise. Almost as good and the best economy vise going in my opinion is the HMH silhouette. It is just around $80 and has a lifetime guarantee and is beautiful quality tool.
    But if you are just starting out you couldn't go wrong with a Griffin 2A.

Greg

Check out the fly tying section on the left. You will find many good recommendations. Al Campbell gave his recommendations a number of times. What model Griffen I don't remember, but it was one of his choices.
    [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/part10.html:723fc]http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/part10.html[/url:723fc]

------------------
    Lee - Better Loops and Singing Reels
    Better Loops & Singing Reels
    Lee

2 of the first vise I owned were Griffin vice still have one past the other off to a friend wishing to learn to tye. You can't real beat a Griffin for the price.
    Ghost.
    PS. thou now I tye on a norton vise.

I have both the griffin odyssey and the mongoose models. I have tied with the odyssey for over 5 years and find it to be a very good product at a reasonable price.

The mongoose is a new toy, but it seems to be of equal or better quality.

Excellent vices, made in the USA as well. I too find thier customer service to be excellent. I would recommend them with out reservation.

I also own two Griffin vises however I am such a roookie I shouldn't be commenting. But I read and looked an awful lot before I bought. I got the 1st Griffin thru a local and paid thru the nose for it...same vise at Sportsman's warehouse $60-70 Cheaper if you want to count shipping. The other I purchased just because I got the most for my money. I have the Patriot and the Mongoose. I haven't tied enough to advise....but Al and Gretchen are sponsors on this board. Click on Sponsors in the upper left and scroll to find BT's Fishing Products I think it is. You will find it. He sells the Danvise and although it is not a thing of beauty....many many people swear by it, he has fly tying video's showing him and her using it....and a video on "how to tie true rotary style". I think it's a great way to go cause cost is reasonable, many people have proven it's worth, and it's pretty cool to be able to purchase how to video's using the same vise you have.

Gem

+ Reply to Thread