+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled Leader Swap Leader Testing

Hybrid View

Default Furled Leader Swap Leader Testing

Had a little time this morning and I have a new toy, a force gauge, so I decided to test the swap leaders and see how close they were to the listed breaking strength on each leader. The intent was not to destroy leaders, but provide the makers with some info on their leaders.

All leaders were attached to a fixed point by their butt loops and the tippet end was attached to the force gauge hook. If the loop was too small to fit over the hook, or the leaderhad a tippet ring installed, a piece of stainless wire was used to attach the leader to the force gauge. A slow, steady pull was used on the gauge until the leader reached its listed strength, or it broke.

These are listed by maker, listed breaking strength and actual breaking strength.

Jack Hise 9# 8.5# broke

Popperfly 12# 15# intact

Warren Patterson 6# 10.5 intact

Sirhoops 12# 3# Broke

Fishwater 12# 13# intact

TomS 7# 10# intact

There is one leader missing...MINE!! I have all of my furling equipment packed for a show and I did not make any extra leaders. I will be making one at the show and testing it by the same method there. Results will be posted Saturday evening.

All leaders that broke broke at the tippet end. Is this a completely scientific test...NO several leaders from each maker would have to be tested to have some good data. I thought it would be fun to do and I got to play with a new toy!!

I hope this information is helpful to the folks that were in the swap....

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Brad,

That is great information to know! Thanks so much for doing it. Would you please explain to me, because I am not the "sharpest tool in the toolroom" what you mean by "intact"? I understand "broke" but do not know what you mean by "intact." For instance on mine you posted 6# 10.5 intact. Does this mean that you stopped pulling at 10.5 pounds and the leader did not break?

Thanks, again, for doing the test.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Intact means not broken. As in ready to fish. As in passed the test.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Thank you for posting this thread Brad!!!
    really liked everyone's leaders too
    Thomas (TomS) Snyder ( also on Facebook)

Hey, thanks, Brad! That is good to know. Makes me wonder what a Furled Leader made from 4 pound test SOS would test out at since that leader you tested was made from 2 pound test SOS!!

I really appreciated the information you provided.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    Hey, thanks, Brad! That is good to know. Makes me wonder what a Furled Leader made from 4 pound test SOS would test out at since that leader you tested was made from 2 pound test SOS!!

I really appreciated the information you provided.
    Warren,
    Results are posted to your question by Brad. I made mine from 4-pound SOS (first time using it) and according to Brad excellent report; intact @ 15#

Brad, thanks for your force gage / pull test report, Good Info!!.....Writing this makes me feels like I am at work, this type of testing is performed on our carpet floor mats OMG!!!
    Last edited by popperfly; 01-29-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

+ Reply to Thread