+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: J-Vise

Agreed, there is immense satisfaction in using high QUALITY tools to do work. Show me a fly tied on a J or a LAW which CAN'T be tied on my Peak. Show me a road you can drive a Bentley but not my Kia. If you've got the money to burn, more power to ya! (I don't, even if I did, I probably wouldn't)
    Last edited by jszymczyk; 02-15-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    A thousand bucks for a vise?
    That was my thought. I saw him use it at Lancaster last year. At that time i was still trying to decide whether to get a Regal or not. I hurried home from the show and searched it out on the internet, choked when I saw the price and closed the window

IF i were a demonstration tier, made a substantial income from tying and got a good deal on one, then I could see me using it.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    Agreed, there is immense satisfaction in using high QUALITY tools to do work. Show me a fly tied on a J or a LAW which CAN'T be tied on my Peak. Show me a road you can drive a Bentley but not my Kia. If you've got the money to burn, more power to ya! (I don't, even if I did, I probably wouldn't)
    Not a Bentley, but think you may have issues on the Rubicon trail in your Kia, but not as much in a Subaru
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
    IF i were a demonstration tier, made a substantial income from tying and got a good deal on one, then I could see me using it.
    If that were the case you could probably write it off as a tax deduction (tools). Not a tax accountant but wouldn't that make sense? But the is a rabbit trail, making sense of the tax code.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

AlanB Guest

jszymczyk - I wouldn't say couldn't be tied on any of the vices you list, but I would hazard a guess that this one never will be!
    Cheers,
    A.

Alan,

I remember when Hans posted that photo, the fly, recipe and SBS. Fantastic then and now! If by 'cat fur' we are to take it that he took it(the fur) from that 'lil purdy cat', then that fly is a one-and-done pattern, LOL. Ain't anybody going to get that material again(tongue n cheek).

Now, back to vise - Won't make anyone a better tyer but hey, there's a niche for almost everything. It's a beautiful vise.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    If by 'cat fur' we are to take it that he took it(the fur) from that 'lil purdy cat', then that fly is a one-and-done pattern, LOL. Ain't anybody going to get that material again(tongue n cheek).
    Allan,

It was, in fact, the result of brushing her with a dog brush - and saving the proceeds to tie the nymph

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Apologize in advance for brief 'hi-jack'

Hans,

Yes, I remember you saying that back then. Impressively heart stopping!
    By the way, you've got a better chance of someone tying a Royal Wulff on one of those Mustad 299s then of someone duplicating that fly (from original recipe), LOL.

Cheers,

Allan

HA! last year I was offered a brush FULL of Tiger fur from "a friend" who has access to one of the beasts in captivity! I politely turned it down because I am not prepared to have some a##hole with an agenda try to put me in jail for possessing CITES material.

So, I wouldn't say "NEVER", but if I ever do, you won't see it advertised on the net.

But I am sorry that I didn't buy a Law vise when they were available for $600.

+ Reply to Thread