+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angora Rabbit (Lapin)

Default Angora Rabbit (Lapin)

I was doing some browsing for some animal hides and came accross some Angora Rabbit, which I believe is also referred to as "Lapin" in europe. I know angora rabbits have some very long fur but was wonder if it's about the same as a regular as far as fur for dubbing and other fly tying material. Has anyone used this type of rabbit before, better, worse or the same as our regular rabbit fur and hides ?

Thanks,

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Just an initial response and haven't checked on this. However, I believe Angora Rabbit is used to dub Atlantic salmon flies because it is a substitute for seals fur.

Allan

Allan I think you maybe referring to Angora Goat, allot more courser I believe, then rabbit.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Sorry! My error. I was indeed refering to the 'Angora goat'.
    I just did a search for 'Angora rabbit'. Seems to be an extremely soft fur used for yarn. I'm just guessing that it would be excellent for dubbing. One concern might be its absorbtion if used in dry flies. Cute little things.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Sorry! My error. I was indeed refering to the 'Angora goat'.
    I just did a search for 'Angora rabbit'. Seems to be an extremely soft fur used for yarn. I'm just guessing that it would be excellent for dubbing. One concern might be its absorbtion if used in dry flies. Cute little things.

Allan
    Yea they're a really neat look rabbit ... all fur ... I mean really long fur all over their body!
    I wouldn't really use it for a dry fly, rabbit is pretty absorbant material.

Here's a picture of one incase someone maybe interested:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...goraRabbit.jpg

Mike

I have an all black angora rabbit fur pelt that I use mainly for leach tails etc, and it is the best rabbit fur I've ever used. Nice and thick and I can make the tails pretty much as long as I want to. Angora rabbit pelts are very much the same as regualr rabbit fur with the exception that the fur is extra long.

Jim Smith

Jim haven't found any pelts yet just 2gr. packages with about 10 different dyed colors that go for about $3.10 a package.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mickalo View Post
    Yea they're a really neat look rabbit ... all fur ... I mean really long fur all over their body!
    I wouldn't really use it for a dry fly, rabbit is pretty absorbant material.
    Mike,

Although rabbit is absorbant, using it for dubbing a dry fly does not effect the floatation. Counterintuitive but true. Almost always and regardless of the material, the amount of dubbing on a 12, 14, 16 and smaller hook doesn't matter. For the most part, same is true on larger flies. Add in, if you like, the use of the tiniest amount of floatant and then there is no advantage to almost any material except perhaps some of the synthetics. Point of interest: All of the mayfly nymph, dun and spinner bodies as well as the caddis' are tyed with rabbit dubbing at Al Caucci's Delaware River Club and many of the other shops and tyers in the area. I know of some tyers that also use lambs wool for dry flies.
    Just an opinion - It's how fine and soft that are the most important traits of a good dry fly dubbing.

Allan

Lapin is French for rabbit...
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Thanks Alan great info to know.

I learned yesterday that "Lapin" is the french word for rabbit.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread