+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NY Winter

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default NY Winter

Winter started late here with really very little snow until very late December. Got hit with 12" and then another 6". Then we had a big thaw and fishing for Inlands was pretty darn good for 4-5 days. Recently we have had a week of subzero cold and another 7-8" of snow and almost everything has locked up again...but another thaw is around the corner so by Wednesday maybe....lookout!

NewTyer 1 Guest

That is a great Brown in the last picture. Do you think you can post a materials list and possibly a SBS on this fly?

Blog Entries

Sure Scott. The last brownie was 17". I will post materials later.

Blog Entries

Materials for my "Emerald Shiner": Daiichi 1750 4xl streamer hook, #6-10, this is a #6
    Hareline Ice Dub: Minnow Belly, Hareline Ice Dub: Emerald Green, Saddle Hackle: Cerise, Krystal Flash: Peacock, Flymen Fish Skulls: Small, Thread: white 6/0. My camera does not have a macro setting so there may be some blur but I will give it a go.

Blog Entries

Start by winding on a base from the front of the shank (80% mark) back to the hook point and then back up just shy of the starting point. Take a fair size pinch of the minnow belly dub (approximate the size shown) and put 4-5 good snug wraps around it to hold to the shank. Now you are simply going to double back the remaining material over the top of itself with 4-5 more good snug wraps. Gently pull the unanchored fibers out from the tail end to "clean it up".

Now select a pinch of Emerald Green dubbing about 1/2 as much as the minnow belly. I used to tie equal amounts but when wet the Emerald was too dominant. Tie it in identical to the minnow belly.

Blog Entries

Default Continued

Select a hackle feather the appropriate size for the throat and tie it in soft hackle style.

Tie in a couple Krystal flash fibers along each side of the fly. Finish wrapping any loose fibers from the hackle down and trim.

The fish skulls have full directions on the package for how to use them. I applied the eyes to the head with Zap a gap, then pushed the head over the hook eye (which is straight), back snug to and over the dubbing. Put a good size drop of Zap a gap at the back of the head on the materials to soak down through. Re attach thread just in front of the head and build a small dam of thread so the head cannot move forward, tie off and finish with another dab of glue. I used the Medium zap a gap. That is pretty much it. I apologize for photo quality. I also caught a couple good sized steelhead on the streamer and I have a feeling smallies will love it, but I primarily came up with it for brown trout. A friend and I tinkered around with a couple versions in his shop before I tied some to use. There may be other similar ties out there, but this is my version, alter it as you will. Good fishing!

Dave
    Last edited by wizard; 01-27-2013 at 07:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread