+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Tenkara Bead Fly

I'm working on an improved tie for this fly for the 2013 season. I am planning to make two versions. First, I intend to incorporate a soft feather with characteristics similar to rabbit fur, but more traditional in the Japanese spirit of Tenkara. The second will be a simplified version without the Antron dubbing, to create a simpler tie getting me back on the stream quicker. I have been getting help from some friends with names. The fluffy version reminds me of Phyllis Diller (may she rest in peace) with her hair sticking out all over the place. And the beads on the hook shank remind me of tidbits on a skewer, so... "Shish Kebari", comedy relief, LOL. And the simpler version, simply "Glass Kebari". Thanks for all of your encouragement an interest guys!
    Last edited by brant; 02-08-2013 at 06:58 PM.

"6. Touch a small wad of antron dubbing to the wax to release a sparse amount onto the wax. Push the next bead forward against the first bead. "

Is the antron horizontal or does it end up around the entire circumference of the shank?

Do you put super glue between each bead?

The Antron sticks to the tacky wax all around the hook shank giving it a 3 dimensional appearance. Be aware that this is an extremely soft, sticky wax. I ensure that the dubbing is complete by touching the dubbing to the wax on the top, at lower left and the lower right. It's not important to super glue each bead as the tacky wax holds the dubbing and the tag (which is super glued at the end of the tie) holds the other beads in place against the hackle. To be clear, where use super glue, is at the head bead and the tag. I do often super glue the bead right behind the hackle, but it's really not needed. I do it more for convenience in having that bead tight so it doesn't slip around while I'm dubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    I'm working on an improved tie for this fly for the 2013 season. I am planning to make two versions. First, I intend to incorporate a soft feather with characteristics similar to rabbit fur, but more traditional in the Japanese spirit of Tenkara. The second will be a simplified version without the Antron dubbing, to create a simpler tie getting me back on the stream quicker. I have been getting help from some friends with names. The fluffy version reminds me of Phyllis Diller (may she rest in peace) with her hair sticking out all over the place. And the beads on the hook shank remind me of tidbits on a skewer, so... "Shish Kebari", comedy relief, LOL. And the simpler version, simply "Glass Kebari". Thanks for all of your encouragement an interest guys! Jim Wright.
    Jim, when I first saw this I thought the hackle might be CDC. You might consider that if you want to try a feather. A while ago I tied up some damsel nymphs and used CDC and dropped it in the water of my sink to test. The motion was incredible...better than Hoffman's chickabou I believe.....probably would need some long ones.

Thanks for the info...it looks like a fun tie.

Thanks for the tip. I am still looking for feathers, so I'll check both of these out. Most feathers have a fluffy base that would work, the trick is finding samples that don't break when you tie them with the stem close to the skin, and have the right color. I'm going to try out Whiting feathers also.

"I do recommend staying with the Antron for the dubbing as it has definite benefits hard to replicate with anything else. "

What would those benefits be?

I believe it was Gary Lafontane who started Antron use in flies with his caddis patterns. Caddis seem to ascend to the surface with gas bubbles which create a glowing halo around their form. Antron seems to replicate this. It also adds some flash due to the shape of it's fibers. I have photos of this effect in both fly and imitation, but the server won't let me upload them for some reason. I'll try later.

brant...I noticed you mentioned excess superglue...I just tied with some of your steps and had no problem applying the superglue...if you haven't tried this you might like it....the one in the middle.

+ Reply to Thread