+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glacier Park

Hybrid View

Default Glacier Park

This is a bit off topic perhaps, but my wife and I are planning a trip out to the northwest next July and want to take in Glacier National Park. Can anyone familiar with the area clue me in on the flyfishing in and around the park?

Also, can anyone provide information on reasonably priced places to stay in the area? We will be coming in from the east.

Thanks,

Dave

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Hi Dave,

I don't know about the fishing, but my wife and I stayed at Travelers Rest in East Glacier. Separate cabins at a reasonable rate, we were there in late August, and some decent restaurants in the area. Not far from the park and not too close. We liked it, and the owners are great people and can give you lots of information on the area.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

I've heard that the East side is windy - was it that way where you were?

Quote Originally Posted by dave potts View Post
    This is a bit off topic perhaps, but my wife and I are planning a trip out to the northwest next July and want to take in Glacier National Park. Can anyone familiar with the area clue me in on the flyfishing in and around the park?
    Dave, If it would be of any help I can put you in contact with my son who is an Aquatic Wildlife Biologist. Blake has been running Wetland Study teams in the Park for the 10 - 15 years and is there from May - September every year. He may or can give you some useful information of areas in the Park ... send me a pm and I'll give you his work address

John, was it you who said the East side was windy? I see that Duck Lake Lodge has Rv hookups, might be just what we're looking for.

I've been to GNP twice, the last time was nearly 16 years ago, and the first time was on our honeymoon. Unfortunately, it was before I discovered fly fishing, so I don't have much fishing related info, except that I remember hiking past a lot of water that makes me want to go back and check them all out again. The last time I was there I watch to people fly fishing at Two Medicine Lake, but at the time I did not have any idea what they were doing.

If you have the time and opportunity to participate in a Ranger led hike, it is well worth it. Our two favorite hikes are the one to Iceberg Lake and Grinnell Glacier both beginning in the Many Glacier Valley (east side).

Regarding lodging, both of the times we went we stayed at Whistling Swan Motel in East Glacier Park. It is not fancy but is reasonably priced. We would stay there again, though I think it has changed hands since we there. The rates may vary a little depending on which room you get... but Room #1, which is the one we stayed in both times, has a kitchenette with a real stove, which was nice to have. The shower and bathroom, however, was tiny--there is no tub in that room. I'm not sure about the other rooms. I'd attach some pictures, but they are way pre-digital.

As far as wind, I don't remember if it was much different on the east side versus west side. But it is Montana after all, so I think I would expect it to be windy pretty much everywhere.
    Tim

I hear about all the wind in Montana, but guess we have been lucky, haven't noticed it any more than anywhere else, except New Mexico in the spring. You folks who are good hikers sure get to see pretty spots. Guess whoever was talking about the wind on the east was talking about out on the plains.

we were there a2 years ago. it is wonderful there, unfortunately our trip was cut short so we could not experience more of the area. however we met up with Alger from blackfeet outfitters and he treated us great, http://www.blackfeetoutfitters.com/ he has great sightseeing packages along with fishing packages. we also stayed at izaak walton inn. a quaint place where you can rent a railroad car for a room http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/ there is a river 100 yds away that is full of trout if you walk a few under yards from the access point. wonderful place glacier park. i recommend you talk to Alger, he is honest and will help you set anything up you want or recommend those that can.

+ Reply to Thread