+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking trout advice

Uncle Jesse,

My initial thoughts are there should be more than one fish in that deep hole/run of water. I also wonder if you are getting the flies to the bottom quick enough. A nymph with a 2.0 or 2.5mm tungsten bead will get down but will take some time and presumably be passing over the top of some fish. I have a friend who ties what he refers to as a depth charge. It's a stonefly nymph pattern that uses a 3.5 and a 3.0 tungsten bead. I fished this fly in Cherokee where the water was deep and kinda fast. It worked. I also dropped a small soft hackle or midge pattern of the depth charge and was very successful with that. If the submeged trees have you concerned you can always close the hook or cut off the gap of the depth charge and just fish whatever you have as a dropper pattern. Instead of tying off on back of the hook you can tie he dropper off the eye. Good luck!

Blog Entries

Uncle Jesse, I would probably try working a streamer, leech, bugger, etc... around the area between the two eddys. In effect, I would treat like over-sized pocket water. I might even cast into one eddy and retrieve into or through the other. I would also listen closely to Warren, who has a habit of knowing what he talks about.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    I would also listen closely to Warren, who has a habit of knowing what he talks about. Ed
    Actually I find most of the information I get from the great state of Tennessee is reliable, you just have to know when to add salt.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread