Ted Trueblood used one, Vince Marinaro used one, Sid Gordon fished "Top To Bottom" with a white and black pike fly and a dipsey sinker. All were really respected "fly fisherman". You have stumbled into a generational gap. Modern fly fishers have put the skill of casting a level wind bait caster in the past.

As a kid I spent some time (a lot of time) at the bank sorting "bird nests" from my reel, it was an early lesson in frustration and I learnt the patience it takes to be a fisherman digging out the tangled line. Ah... to develop an "educated thumb" that was a goal. I did and it was a pleasure to hear the whrrrrr.... of the reel, and watch the arch of the line headed to god knows where but it was out there and I could click the reel handle and retrieve the cast.

Fly casting presented the same challenges..but I learned. Too often today folks want immediate results but it seems to me it takes a little time.....and a little frustration.

To cast the rod I would suggest a 1/2 to 5/8 ounce plug, turn the handles up, and cast as though you were throwing the plug to the sky. If you are looking to place a value on your find for profit, sorry I can't help. The level wind baitcaster was an important part of my learning to cast a fly rod.