+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not so fly fishing related but...

Hybrid View

Default Not so fly fishing related but...

I found this little beaut at a Salvation Army, bought it for $ 5, cleaned it, lubed it and all. Do you guys know anything about this little old reel?

Thanks guys.
    I believe I can fly fish

Ted Trueblood used one, Vince Marinaro used one, Sid Gordon fished "Top To Bottom" with a white and black pike fly and a dipsey sinker. All were really respected "fly fisherman". You have stumbled into a generational gap. Modern fly fishers have put the skill of casting a level wind bait caster in the past.

As a kid I spent some time (a lot of time) at the bank sorting "bird nests" from my reel, it was an early lesson in frustration and I learnt the patience it takes to be a fisherman digging out the tangled line. Ah... to develop an "educated thumb" that was a goal. I did and it was a pleasure to hear the whrrrrr.... of the reel, and watch the arch of the line headed to god knows where but it was out there and I could click the reel handle and retrieve the cast.

Fly casting presented the same challenges..but I learned. Too often today folks want immediate results but it seems to me it takes a little time.....and a little frustration.

To cast the rod I would suggest a 1/2 to 5/8 ounce plug, turn the handles up, and cast as though you were throwing the plug to the sky. If you are looking to place a value on your find for profit, sorry I can't help. The level wind baitcaster was an important part of my learning to cast a fly rod.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

http://www.bronsonreelphotos.com/bro...-and-info.html

Apparently the Bronson reel company, at one time, was the country's largest reel manufacturer and supplied companies like Sears and Montgomery Wards. Although the Fleetwing is one of their basic designs, some of Bronson's reels are quite ornate; looks like you found yourself a keeper. Now, as hairwing said, start "educating" your thumb.

Regards,
    Scott

Neat old reel; spent many a day untangling one in my youth . Good luck, and enjoy it. I have a couple of Bronson fly reels, one marked Bronson and one stamped J.C. Higgins.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Lots of early memories of those level winders. It's all we had growing up in very early 60's. Don't know if they were Bronsons, but looked pretty similar. I think at least 1 or 2 were Shakespeare. All were rigged with braided line, Dacron I think. I put the process of learning how to use one in the same category as learning to shoot doves with a .410!

I will confess, I do toss a lure every now and then and I prefer bait casters over open face reels, this one even comes with a clicker so maybe I'll toss it with bait while I flick flies this Summer. It's very simple and easy to operate...I tell you guys, it was love at first sight.
    Maybe I'll be lucky and will find me an old fly reel.
    I believe I can fly fish

+ Reply to Thread