+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Fishing on Kauai, mid-April to mid-May?

Default Fly Fishing on Kauai, mid-April to mid-May?

Because of a Delta screwup in the fall, my girlfriend and I have $600 travel vouchers good for anywhere Delta flies, and right now it's looking like Kauai during April or May is looking like the coolest way of using these vouchers. While I strongly suspect hiking, beach-lounging, and trying to learn how to surf will be our primary occupations if we decide to go, I'd love to know the possibility of catching some fish while we're there. What are the options, based on the following points?

--Probably not willing to pay for it. I have done a little research and found there are some bonefish guides on Kauai (though Oahu seems to be better), but I can't afford such a trip and Jade isn't good enough at fly fishing yet for it, so a guided trip is probably out of the question unless I can arrange to trade a Yellowstone trip for it.
    --Not interested in trout or black bass -->I can catch more and bigger of either here on the mainland.
    --Given the above conditions, I don't care what I catch, though given reasonable prospects I'd rather fish saltwater, on foot.

I'd love some suggested resources (web, book) to look into, as well as some suggested flies/tackle. Figure on bringing a breakdown 8 weight and maybe a 6, along with wading sandals, tools, and a couple boxes of flies.

Bumpity bump.

Here's hoping that someone can help you.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I live on Kauai.
    There are flats here with some oio (bonefish). Unfortunately, the fishing and catching isn't very good. I don't even go myself.
    There are reservoirs which contain peacock bass. You need permission. I don't like Stillwater myself, but could get you permission.

Best bonefish fishing is Molokai, but kind expensive to get there and back.

Wish I had better advice. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you in your planning
    Byron

My knowledge of FF in Hawaii is for bones on Oahu. Did a bit of peacock fishing on Lake Wilson there, also. Talk to these guys. They may have the info for you, and could have some leads for your trip. It's a different world. Numbers of bones aren't great but the fish are BIG!!! If you want, PM and I'll get you my phone # and answer what I can.

http://www.nervouswaterhawaii.com/
    Last edited by fr8dog; 01-25-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Blog Entries

If the vast majority of your time is going to be spent beaching and sight seeing, I would recommend Kauai as it is beautiful over here and not so developed as Oahu. All depends on what you are after.

I forgot to mention. My neighbor, across the street is a sport fishing charter boat owner. I am sure I could get you a great deal on an ocean fishing trip. I think his boat is a 48 footer.

Byron

Byron:

I would love to get after the peacocks. I have found some info on saltwater fishing on other forums and will try to follow up on them. The key there is I don't really care what I catch as long as I'm doing it, so goofy reef fish are fine by me. I am tossing around the idea of trying to get an article or two out of the trip to pay for it, though that will be a post-trip process...

I doubt I'm interested in deep-sea stuff unless there's potential to get something on a fly. Trolling leaves me cold, even if there's a bunch of ahi in the offing.

If we go, we are definitely going to Kauai. Really the only thing we'd miss about Oahu (well, besides better flats) is Pearl Harbor. Otherwise, hiking, surfing, etc. are what we're after, and from everything I hear Kauai is better for that. I also have a friend there, and even though he has guided in MT he has only ever surfed in Kauai.

I'm really glad that we have a local on the board who has stepped up with advice and offers of help for you.

I've vacationed on 4 of the Islands, but never fished there. We enjoyed Kauai a lot. Gotta say, though, that our best vacations were at the Napili Kai Beach Club on Maui. Full condos, laid back attitude, and set in a cove that has half of the water in front of the beach calm and perfect for snorkeling while the other half has good body surfing waves. I'll never forget the time I got to snorkel alongside an incredibly graceful swimming sea turtle!

Just returned from there. Opportunities are somewhat marginal. I fished at a place called Tunnels, there is somewhat of a flats there. I think you might hookup there if you work at it. I did no good but the seas were so rough and the swell was so big that about every twenty minutes or so a set would come in and it was all you could do to keep your footing. The seas were rough the entire time I was there so I never tried again. I believe there is another large flat at Anini Beach that supposedly has bones. There are a couple of locals that guide on the island although I didn't contact them. Nigel Warrack 1-808-652-9038 and Rob Arita 1-808-828-1173. Both have web sites. If you could spend a few serious days on the water and have good conditions I'm sure there would be opportunities but I didn't have that luxury. It's definitely not a destination fishery.

+ Reply to Thread