+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ascension Island

Hybrid View

Default Ascension Island

Had a couple hours to kill on a trip to Ascension. Threw clousers into the surf. Finally figured out a way to keep the triggers away from my fly and got a few of these. I have no idea what they are, but they ripped line way into the backing, and fought like hell. Good times!!!!!!

Cool!
    I'm no saltwater expert... I've never seen any member of the Jack family with colors that dark! Possibly a Black Jack? They are an open-water species only occasionally found near shore or over reefs.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Lovely fish! looks like a black Trevally to me, but not sure about the range of those.
    How big are the trigger fish?
    All the best.
    Mike

Just found this on Wikipedia
    The black jack has a circumtropical distribution, meaning their range extends around the Earth's equatorial oceans, thereby inhabiting the tropical and subtropical regions of the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans. In the Indian Ocean, they are found from Natal, South Africa[14] in the west to northern Australia in the east.[5] They are patchily distributed along the east African and Asian coastline in the Indian Ocean, being absent from both thePersian Gulf and Red Sea, as well as several countries bordering the ocean.[7] The species is widely known from many Indian Ocean islands including the Seychelles,[15]R?union, Mauritius and Cargados Carajos[16] In the Pacific Ocean, the black jack is known from parts of the Indonesian-Australian archipelago north to Japan, and through many of the Pacific Islands such as Hawaii, New Caledonia and Tonga.[7] The species range in the eastern Pacific has been ranges from Mexico and the Revillagigedo Islands in the north to Costa Rica in the south.[17] In the western Atlantic Ocean, black jack have been found from North Carolina in the U.S.[18] south toRio de Janeiro, with the species most common in the Caribbean and the northern Gulf of Mexico. In the eastern Atlantic, the species has been reported from the Azores, MadeiraSt. Paul's Rocks, Ascension Island, and theGulf of Guinea.[7][19]

Thanks for the ID. The triggers are small, 10-12". Bizillions of them and they are aggressive little buggers. Found that if I stripped the fly across the surface a gang of them would chase it almost to the beach. Then I launched it over them and it would have enough time for the jacks to get it.

That is probably the most out of the way fishing spot ever!
    Love to get there for a flick one day, I understand there is some superb offshore fishing too. Do you get to go there very often?
    All the best.
    Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Thanks for the ID. The triggers are small, 10-12". Bizillions of them and they are aggressive little buggers. Found that if I stripped the fly across the surface a gang of them would chase it almost to the beach. Then I launched it over them and it would have enough time for the jacks to get it.

If Ohio Tuber was still active here, I'm sure he would have made some comment about salt water bluegill, so I'll cover it for him.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread