+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dream summer trip...where to go?

Hybrid View

Default Dream summer trip...where to go?

I am starting to think about a special trip with my family that doesn't involve cartoon characters. I have three boys, 6,8,10 and a wife who loves beautiful outdoor settings during the day, and can camp for a night or two before finding a cabin or hotel. We live in Jackson Mississippi, trout fishing is my passion. Driving would be the mode of transportation, and 9-10 days would be the length of the trip. It would be a summer trip with the boys getting out of school the last week of May. Where in this great country of ours can a guy throw his family in the wagon, see some beautiful land and make some memories for under $3k. Some trout fishing would be a huge bonus.

I'd say tag on to the Trip Out West thread but for a trip to Yellowstone you'd be spending too much of your time behind the wheel .

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

End of may is normally runoff in much of the west, so plan accordingly. Who knows if we will have enough snow to matter again this winter.

If YNP is out of the question due to distance, consider the area broadly defined as northern Georgia, western Carolinas, eastern Tennessee. Lots of trout streams, beautiful scenery and good choices for camping or lodging. GSMNP is a great place to visit, but can be unbelievably crowded that time of year.

There is marvelous scenery and fishing to be had most years out here in the West, but I recommend you put that trip off to a later year. The scenery will always be there, but the low snow pack we've had so far suggests this will be a poor year for trout fishing.

I suggest you stay East this year. Given your available time, the age of your sons, and your budget, maybe consider a trip up to DC and Virginia. I did a trip with my family to that area when I was about your sons' ages. Williamsburg, the great DC museums, Mount Vernon, Monticello, etc. really impressed me. And I had a chance to learn things about American history.

Cap it off with a 1-2 night stay at Meadow Lane if your budget can handle it. http://www.meadowlanecottages.com/
    Upscale rustic cabins with farm things the kids might enjoy. Over 2 miles of heavily trout-stocked private moving water. They are under new management this year so you will have to pay a daily rod fee. But I would not be surprised if they would waive that for your sons, even if all of them catch and release some fish with fatherly guidance.

There is also some very impressive mountan scenery (especially by Mississippi standards) between Charlottesville and Meadow Lane. Trust me --I've been to all 3 places.

I have no financial interest in Meadow Lane. I'm just a happy customer of theirs.

As an empty nester father of three sons, I envy you this trip!
    Last edited by oldfrat; 01-15-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Here is a list of places we have been to that are within driving distance of Jackson and offer some pretty good trout fishing. All these places offer cabins and campgrounds. Calico Rock, Arkansas - among places to fish are the White River or below the dam at Norfork. Ozark Mountains are there for sight seeing or even hiking. Townsend, Tennesee - you can fish the Little River or other streams coming out of the Smokies. It is a small town without the crowds of Galtlinburg, but close enough to drive over there if you want to. We were in Brevard, North Carolina in September and had a great time. Fished the Davidson River there. A little yuppy for me but a great place for the wife to shop and sight see. Henderson is nearby for more shopping and Ashville is not too far away. We also Stayed in a cabin near Dillard Ge

Oops got cut off. Dlliard, Georgia and fished the Tuckasegee River over in North Carolina. I would rccommend a hiring a guide for at least a half of a day if you are in a new area. Learn from them and the strike out on you own.

+ Reply to Thread