+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dream summer trip...where to go?

This is the Montana snowpack as of Jan. 13, 2013:

http://www.mt.nrcs.usda.gov/news/rel...jansnow13.html

It looks pretty good for the Yellowstone area...

Get on the Blue Ribbon Flies weekly email newsletter for updated information:

http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/shop

I drive from LA to Ennis, MT in about 18 hrs...non-stop

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    Driftless!
    The Driftless area was my first thought too!
    Tim

NewTyer 1 Guest

How about Arizona? There is supposed to be good fishing there and actually, I loved the desert landscaping too. Your in MS so you have a great river there, the
    Au Sable and you may find something like a campground with a cabin up around Grayling. Not really a dream vacation but. Or how about Florida? you could hire a guide and fish for Tarpon and other cool fish

Here's a link that you can lose a bunch of time exploring, but I did find some (actually alot) of areas I was unaware of.

http://www.wilderness.net/map.cfm

So many places, so little time (and money).

Quote Originally Posted by NewTyer 1 View Post
    How about Arizona? There is supposed to be good fishing there and actually, I loved the desert landscaping too. Your in MS so you have a great river there.
    Eastern AZ is one of my favorite places, Pinetop - Lakeside is great in the summer, after the snow is gone and the ice is gone on the lakes. Sunrise Lake trout average 16" and I caught my only grayling up there. You can rent a boat, not sure about a trolling motor, etc., You can swing up do a trip of the Grand Canyon.

Scott, there are several rivers in MS, the mighty muddy is not a river most people want to fish however. There are some creeks in south MS that are some of the best kept secrets in the south. Water cool enough to take your breath in the middle of summer.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I am a practical guy, and I have two sons (grown now). Taking trips when they were young, they were good in the car for about 3 hours (4 max), and that was with games, music, stories, etc. So I would not try YNP at this time in your family's life. YNP is over 26 hours away (drive time). I would save the western trip until your kids can fish with you and truly enjoy it.
    I agree with aiming up the east Coast. State College, PA is just over 15 hours away, and the Farmington River, CT is @ 19 hours. Going in that direction covers a lot of rivers, with many at the destination too (if you get that far). Plus as others have said, there is American heritage and history, as well as exposure to cultural diversity, as you head into territory that is politically different and which also provides new food experiences. Up the East Coast the population is denser so there is good shopping as there are more attractions per mile (not everyone fishes).
    Good luck whatever you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by [SIZE=2
    State College, PA is just over 15 hours away,... [/SIZE]
    True, but you'd have to average driving just over 70 mph for the approx. 1080 miles.

As an aside, my wife and I drove across the country to visit Yellowstone many years ago with our 2 sons who were both under 10 years old at the time. That was before we had air conditioning in the car and only an AM radio. I remember it was over 100 degrees at times as we drove across the midwestern states. My wife still comments about how the boys fought constantly in the back seat of the car on that trip. However, those are the trips that family memories are made of, and I wouldn't have wanted to change a thing if I had to do it over today!

+ Reply to Thread