+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for recommendations on finish, agate strippers, and guides.

Hybrid View

Default Looking for recommendations on finish, agate strippers, and guides.

I have three builds planned for this winter and I'm hoping to get started in the next week or so after I assemble all of the components. That is the purpose of this thread. I am looking for a bit of input, as I'm wanting to try some different methods an approaches than on my previous rods.

1st up is a Hook and Hackle Xi 10' 3 WT kit. I was looking for a relatively cheap way to get into Czech nymphing, and I received this kit as a Christmas gift. I have all of the necessary components with the kit. However, I've never mounted a fighting butt before. The kit comes with a 1" cork fighting butt. I had planned to ream it, and pass the butt of the blank through the end of the reel seat and mount it flush using standard rod-building epoxy. I'm wondering if there is another or better way to accomplish this.

2nd, I have a Steffen 8'6" 5/6 WT set to arrive next week. I've built two Steffens previously (7'6" 2/3, and 8' 3/4), and love the actions. I'm planning on using a full wells grip and bought a downlocking cedar insert reel seat from Joel Lemke. For guides I want to use Snake Brand Universals as I tried those on the other Steffens and felt they were remarkable.

- Where is the best place to buy Snake Brand Guides? I have only seen them for sale via Anglersworkshop and via the Snake Brand website. The others I received as part of Mike's free set of guides promotion.
    - I have seen other fiberglass/bamboo rods with an agate stripper and I would like to use one on this rod as I think it would pair nicely. What would be the best size? I'm thinking 10 mm. Where is the best place to buy agate strippers, it seems that most everyone carries them, but I wonder if any of you have a particularly good source.

3rd, I have a Steffen 8' 8/9 WT coming as well. I'm using one of Lemke's recessed reel seats with the built in fighting butt, and will be using a full wells grip. I'm had planned to use Snake Brand guides on this rod as well; however, I recently read a post about single foot casting guides (i.e.Minima) and increased distance. I know very little about the type and sizing of these guides.

- Do you think it would be worthwhile to incorporate single foot casting guides into the build, if so what is the best option? I'm worried that aesthetically on a fiberglass rod, it may not be as pleasing as traditional snakes.

My final questions involve finish. Previously I have used FlexCoat high build, and thought that it worked just fine. However, I'm now out of my supply and need to order more epoxy. I have recently read about the Threadmaster line, and it looks interesting.

- Do any of you have experience with either of the Threadmaster finishes (high build vs light)? How do they compare to FlexCoat?
    - Do any of you have experience with the other Threadmaster products such as the rod building gel, and tip top adhesive? How well do they work?

Thanks for your time and sorry for the lengthy post.

Tight lines,

Bobby

Bobby,
    See if this will give you any help:
    I have NO financial interest in any of these suppliers. I just have used them for years, and years, and know them to be good. In the Hook and Hackle catalogue, and the Mud Hole catalogue, are some really good instructions on rod building. Enjoy browsing each of these sites ... bring a kleenex or two to wipe the drool off your chins!

Material sources:

J. Stockard fly fishing JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials

Hook & Hackle Fly Fishing Tackle, Fly Fishing Supplies, Fly Tying Supplies and Fly Rod Building Supplies The Hook & Hackle Company

Workshop Angler's Workshop - Fishing Rods, Reels, Rod Building and Fly Tying Angler's Workshop - Fishing Rods, Reels, Rod Building and Fly Tying

Golden Witch Golden Witch Technologies, Golden Witch Fly Fishing Golden Witch Technologies, Golden Witch Fly Fishing

Snake Brand Guides Snake Brand Snake Guides

Custom Rod Building Supplies .com - Home customrodbuildingsupplies.com

fiberglassflyrodders Forums

Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource.

Mud Hole Custom Tackle | The World's Largest Rod Building Supplier

"Tiger Eye" Private Label Fly Rod Blanks

Custom Fly Rods and Spinning Rods | Midwest Custom Fly Rods

REC Reel Seats,Rod Case,Cork,RECOIL Guides,Rod Building Supplies

Genuine Bellinger Reel Seats

Books:

Flex Coat step by step Rod Building

Hand crafting a Graphite Fly rod L.A. Garcia
    Maybe someone else will come post answers to your other questions before I can get back .

Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

You are dead on with the fighting butt.

The best place to buy Snake Brand Guides is from Mike directly. Order on the website or give him a call. Warning: He will talk your ear off like you were a long lost brother.

I get my agate strippers from Angler's Workshop. Agate guides are sized by the inside diameter of the frame, not the agate. A #10 agate stripper is most likely about the same size as a #8 ceramic guide. Many places have their largest agate strippers at #8 or #9. This is fine for a 2 or 3wt but I like something bigger for a 5wt. A #10 is a minimum with my preference running to a #12 if I can get my hands on one. I recently ordered a Winston blank for a build I am just about finished with and thought an agate stripper would lend a little class. I ordered my blank from Angler's Workshop and asked about agate strippers. The blank is a deep green and they managed to almost match the blank color in the agate. They had great prices on both.

I would probably use the snakes on a glass rod. No particular reason other than I think it looks better.

Finish. I use ProKote and love it. This stuff levels beautifully and it's crystal clear even in the bottles.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Last winter I built out a Johnson blank and I used the Snake Brand universals and got them right from Mike. I got my Agate from Mudhole and like you ended up needing new finish. In the past I've tried probably every new finish that came out. this time I went with Flex coat lite. I'm really happy with the way it works and lays out. the other choice for the glass builds would be something like Perma gloss or Lumiseal. give it a much lighter/ old school look and goes on easy and stays clear.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Get your agate guides from Joe Arguello. Joe makes the best agate I have ever seen. You will not be disappointed.

http://jearguello.com/2011/

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm probably going to get everything finalized over the weekend. Does anyone have a good cork supplier? Angler's workshop looks to have some Flor grips which aren't unreasonably priced. I don't have a place to set up a lathe (wife would kill me over the mess), so I'll have to go preformed for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Bobby,
    See if this will give you any help:
    I have NO financial interest in any of these suppliers. I just have used them for years, and years, and know them to be good. In the Hook and Hackle catalogue, and the Mud Hole catalogue, are some really good instructions on rod building. Enjoy browsing each of these sites ... bring a kleenex or two to wipe the drool off your chins!

Material sources:

J. Stockard fly fishing JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials

Hook & Hackle Fly Fishing Tackle, Fly Fishing Supplies, Fly Tying Supplies and Fly Rod Building Supplies The Hook & Hackle Company

Workshop Angler's Workshop - Fishing Rods, Reels, Rod Building and Fly Tying Angler's Workshop - Fishing Rods, Reels, Rod Building and Fly Tying

Golden Witch Golden Witch Technologies, Golden Witch Fly Fishing Golden Witch Technologies, Golden Witch Fly Fishing

Snake Brand Guides Snake Brand Snake Guides

Custom Rod Building Supplies .com - Home customrodbuildingsupplies.com

fiberglassflyrodders Forums

Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource.

Mud Hole Custom Tackle | The World's Largest Rod Building Supplier

"Tiger Eye" Private Label Fly Rod Blanks

Custom Fly Rods and Spinning Rods | Midwest Custom Fly Rods

REC Reel Seats,Rod Case,Cork,RECOIL Guides,Rod Building Supplies

Genuine Bellinger Reel Seats

Books:

Flex Coat step by step Rod Building

Hand crafting a Graphite Fly rod L.A. Garcia

Maybe someone else will come post answers to your other questions before I can get back .

Betty
    Thanks, Betty. It looks like you copied my bookmarks list into your post. I had forgotten about Golden Witch.

+ Reply to Thread