Ray,
Full Disclosure: I started fishing in October of 2011 and I chose tenkara for the simplicity of it's fly set. For the simplicity of the gear. And for it's "moving" versus "rooted" fishing style. My home water is fast mountain streams, 10' to 100' feet wide, with 20' to 30' being typical.

For a beginning fisher looking at a "Western" setup can be quite intimidating. The gear, the complexity of lines, the number of flies, learning how to cast, and learning entomology is daunting. Tenkara, at first blush, is simple. So there is a lot of buzz about "simplifying things". (In my case it was the first step down the slippery slope.)

Your Pflueger will work just fine. With a reel you certainly have the advantage of line control. There are a number tenkara rods in the 9' and 11' range, so that argument is out. And if you fish just a 20' tapered leader you'll be able to keep it off the water, just like tenkara.

So it comes down to personal preferences, comfort level, and what "tradition" of fishing you choose to pursue.

Tight Lines.

Greg