+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coastal Texas Redfish

Default Coastal Texas Redfish

Heading to Corpus for a short trip and was wondering if anyone had ideas for redfish flies. I am going to fish Nighthawk Bay by kayak hopefully for one or two evenings and have no idea what to throw....I have a few salty flies like crazy charlies, clousers, and bitters, but would appreciate anyone's suggestions.
    Thanks, DW

Get a couple of spoon flies, I like gold, but also try silver. Clousers are good, chartrous (sp?) and white. Crab patterns can be good as well.

They told me to get spoon flies, so I learned to tie them. I've been down to the salt near Freeport three times now, and all I've caught were two small specks.

Take a chartruse clouser minnow, but don't hold your breath...

------------------
    "Tolerance is the mark of a man with no convictions." -G.K. Chesterton

Hey Okie Noodler

Congrats on the baby girl(?) by the way, I am partial to girls, I have two myself. So how did you tie the spoon flys, what material. I made a couple out of wine bottle lead foil, ya know the stuff you have to peel of the top, It was more like a thick plastic with a meatl finish. I then covered with epoxy.

I am certainly no expert but I have caught Reds and seatrout out of Corpus on generalized shrimp, & baitfish flies size 2-4 . A white baitfish popper is also fun to have ( keep it moving ) I don't think the specific flies are as important as finding fish.
    I have had 2 week long trips to Corpus. The first was a mini vaction with my wife helping some friends with there son's wedding. I fished from before daylight until 8:30 am and had eager redfish every morning. The following year I took my buddy ,and went a week latter than the year before. The forecasted tides were suppose to be higher than the year before & twice a day . As it turned out the tides were almost non existent and the flats I had fished the previous year had very little water on them at high tide and were almost stagnant.. no reds. The reds were staying in some deeper holes which we could not fish(we did not have any sinking lines with us) We did catch hundreds of schoolie seatrout and some good sized ladyfish at night along with a few predator fish that we had no idea what they were.

I made the spoon flies with gold mylar tubing.

I sort of followed these instructions: [url=http://flytyingworld.com/PagesK/kd-sf.htm:9a413]http://flytyingworld.com/PagesK/kd-sf.htm[/url:9a413]

After you make a couple, you'll realize that they aren't too hard, and there are small modifications that you can make to suit them to yourself. I omitted the monofilament weed guard (I find that these things are more often fish guards than weed guards) and didn't seem to have too much trouble with weeds.

The hardest part is probably balancing them so that they flutter properly when you fish them.

Good luck! Let me know how they turn out. If you want me to send you a couple as primers, shoot me an email with your address. These little flies can be really expensive! (7.50 at the Orvis store in the Woodlands!)

Howdy Okie_Noodler,

I just sent you an e-mail, thanks! Yep those little buggers are expensive, I think they are slightly less down FTU, but not by much. Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread