+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flies in Carry On Luggage

Quote Originally Posted by BH Spey View Post
    I've been on at least 100 flights in the last 5 years WITH flys (size 4 salmon flys down to size 24 trout flies), forceps, nippers, zingers, tippet, rod, and reel without anyone ever once asking to inspect any of it. Most airports have multiple security check points, if at first you don't suceed, try another check point - though again, I have NEVER had to resort to this. I have gone through security with all my fishing equipment in Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Grand Rapids, MI, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, West Palm Beach, San Juan Puerto Rico, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Albuqurque, San Diego, San Francisco San Jose, Denver, Missoula, Bozeman, Kansas City, and St Louis.

Don't worry about it!
    I agree with BH Spey, I travel domestic and international at least twice a month and never had a problem with TSA or International Customs, I have carried flies, materials, tools for tying at night in the hotel along with many different sample parts with sharp edges for my job, never stop and questioned. From my travels, it seems TSA/Customs are more concern about liquids then anything else.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

When I was earning regular frequent flyer miles I placed a padded self addressed envelope with postage on it in my computer bag, just in case I forgot to leave my pocket knife at home. You might want to consider doing something similar.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Popperfly and BH Spey are spot on and Uncle Jesse has an awesome tip. I was detailed at Cleveland's International AirPort during conditions Orange and Red. Condition Red may bring a more methodical critical check and orange is high alert but I don't ever remember flies getting the hook. Another observation, now that I think of it, any fishing equipment I saw at the airport was for fly fishing.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

I have had each of the items I mentioned above refused by TSA. Guess I have bad luck. i put them all in checked luggage now and also pack my 7 piece rods.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    I have had each of the items I mentioned above refused by TSA. Guess I have bad luck. i put them all in checked luggage now and also pack my 7 piece rods.
    Bob, You know it's a well know fact that SW Louisana is a hot bed of Taliban activity. If it weren't for the alligators they would have probably taken over everything south of Deridder. Alligators think they taste like chicken.

made me laugh.
    but we do use them to troll for gators.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    but we do use them to troll for gators.
    But you tell the ACLU you are teaching them to water ski!!!

DG, What state limits the amount of flies in a fly box?

Quote Originally Posted by krauseb View Post
    TSA is not a state operation, it's the Feds. There are times when what goes is at the momentary whelm of the person you are dealing with at that moment. For example for years, I place my expired DL in my card wallet because it was always easier to get out than my regular left back pocket wallet. For years it was accepted, a government issued ID card with a photo of me on it. One day the TSA inspector notice it was expired, it was not longer acceptable, I wasn't me any more, I was expired and became someone else. These are the same people who send 85 year old grandmother for full body examination, that is not something you just hear about, I have seen them do it.

Quote Originally Posted by krauseb View Post
    the post was a joke relating to the nonsensical, knee-jerk, moronic, and utterly useless propositions being forced on us by ignorant politicians.

In fact it was a brilliant parallel discussion....

WHY on EARTH would ANYONE NEED more than ten flies in a flybox????

+ Reply to Thread