+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flies in Carry On Luggage

Hybrid View

Default Flies in Carry On Luggage

I have a new flyfisher friend headed for Utah who asked me whether he'd have a problem carrying on a small box of small flies (size 20-24). I haven't carried on flies since 2001. Any recent experience on whether the TSA would have problems with that?

I usually put mine in my checked luggage but last time I had them in carry-on (unintentionally) I got through okay; my neighbor, in the next inspection line had a couple boxes of flies in his and, the way TSA responded, you'd have thought he was packing C4. I've heard lots of folks sail through with no problems and TSA's printed regulations say you should be able to, but catch them on a bad day and things can get ugly.

Regards,
    Scott

As ScottP noted TSA published info on their we site says flies are ok for carry on. However experience shows that it is up to the screener. Someone in one line gets through an someone in a different line has to go back and check them. The only sure fire way to avoid problems in the security line is to check them.

Blog Entries

Best bet is to contact the airline and review and/or carry a copy of the TSA no-no list with you when you travel.

Remember, in many states you can't have a fly box that contains more than ten flies, or can be detached from your flyfishing vest, or looks scary, or a myriad of other sins. Oh, wait, I might be thinking of something else.

Even if your flies get through, the rest of your equipment may not.
    forceps -- no chance
    nippers -- no way
    pliers -- uh uh
    tippet/line -- not likely, could be use as a garrot (could include a reel with line)
    zingers -- garrot

This is what TSA has to say : http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1188.shtm. Basically, the agency says about rods: "Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage." And here is what the agency says about tackle, including fish hooks: "Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's [sic] should be packed in your carry-on baggage."
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

Odds are that they would not be a problem. But, it only takes one surly TSA or airline employee to muck things up. Best to place them in checked luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Best bet is to contact the airline and review and/or carry a copy of the TSA no-no list with you when you travel.

Remember, in many states you can't have a fly box that contains more than ten flies, or can be detached from your flyfishing vest, or looks scary, or a myriad of other sins. Oh, wait, I might be thinking of something else.
    Good one! Except now that if you are going to People's Republic of New Dork, your fly box can not contain more than seven, and if you are unfortunate enough to live there, you must sell your high capacity fly boxes within a year.

If I am ever fortunate enough to be able to travel on a fishing trip, I think I will arrange to FedEx or UPS my IMPORTANT gear ahead of me.

DG, What state limits the amount of flies in a fly box?

Quote Originally Posted by krauseb View Post
    TSA is not a state operation, it's the Feds. There are times when what goes is at the momentary whelm of the person you are dealing with at that moment. For example for years, I place my expired DL in my card wallet because it was always easier to get out than my regular left back pocket wallet. For years it was accepted, a government issued ID card with a photo of me on it. One day the TSA inspector notice it was expired, it was not longer acceptable, I wasn't me any more, I was expired and became someone else. These are the same people who send 85 year old grandmother for full body examination, that is not something you just hear about, I have seen them do it.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by krauseb View Post
    the post was a joke relating to the nonsensical, knee-jerk, moronic, and utterly useless propositions being forced on us by ignorant politicians.

In fact it was a brilliant parallel discussion....

WHY on EARTH would ANYONE NEED more than ten flies in a flybox????

+ Reply to Thread