+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ribbing

Hybrid View

Default Ribbing

I have seen patterns that call for wire ribbing when the body is composed of peacock herl. When the fly is completed the ribbing is not visable being imbeded in the herl. Assuming that floatation is not a factor what are the pros & cons of using thread instead of wire in these cases?

Thanks

Tim

I tie a number of fly patterns that have a peacock herl body, and often rib them with my tying thread as a reinforcement. Many times, I tie the herl in nearest to the eye of the hook, wrap my thread back to the tail, then warp the herl back over itself toward the eye. Then I rib over the herl with my tying thread.

As you say, you can't see the ribbing (nor is it intended to be visible on those patterns), and the advantage is that it is quicker to tie in this manner than with a spearate piece of wire ribbing.

I don't do this, of course, on something like a Prince Nymph, where the ribbing is intended to be visible.

The wire ribbing is for protection for the herl. It will not (should not) be cut by teeth. Not sure that wire is a great advantage. As JR says thread is quicker.

in some cases, the appearance of segmentation is the more important reason for ribbing

The 20 "incher" stone fly nymph has a peacock herl body and floss ribbing.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=28

I suppose the wire ribbing might be partially visible when the fly is wet, and in the water, glinting through, etc, and the colour won't change as wet thread might. Also, wire would add a touch more weight, and by tying in the wire, the body is thickened (which may or may not be desirable). In the end, though, the weight would be minimal, the extra colour glitters could scare some fish while attracting others, and desirable body thickness depends upon the fly: so, tie 'em as you want!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Thanks for the replies. After digesting them I decided to continue tying with thread whenever possible. I tie using about the same method as John Rhoades.

Tim

Thread in lieu of wire:

Pro: Fast & easy; no need to tie in another material; may not smash the flues as readily as some wire; no added bulk at tie-off point

Con: More easily damaged than a wire rib, though twisting up a loop of thread into a doubled strand may improve durability

I've gone to twisting herl with my working thread (fairly tightly) almost always. Easily done on a Norvise; more trouble but worth it with hackle pliers and a dubbing hook.

I use a wire or tinsel rib only where it enhances the body.

+ Reply to Thread