+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spade Tailing

Default Spade Tailing

Anyone know a good source for spade tailing feathers or old capes that still have good spade feathers on them for tailing traditional catskill dry flies?

Thanks,

Michael

Coq de Leon ?

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Hi,

You might find some on an older neck. You might also try finding a farmer with an old barnyard rooster. Maybe for sale? You can buy a neck from Denny, Conranch Hackle. He leaves the 'spade' hackle on the skin. Lastly, you could contact Charlie Collins, Collins Hackle. He sells spade tailing feathers.

Allan

Thanks Hans & Allan. I use Coq de Leon on most of my patters for tailing, I just wanted to stick to the traditional for my quill Gordon's and Hendricksons etc. I know Charlie will be at the Somerset show in a few weeks so I will see what he's got, if I have no luck i will contact Denny. Thanks Again

Quote Originally Posted by mvalbano View Post
    I just wanted to stick to the traditional for my quill Gordon's and Hendricksons etc.
    Warning - mild teasing ahead:

Michael... if you really want to go traditional you should use very soft tailing fibers... as the really old American patterns, such as you mention, that I have seen and where possible handled had pretty soft quality tailing material

To wit:

http://www.classictrout.com/phpBB2/v...c.php?f=13&t=9

*teasing off*

Best of success getting the desired material.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    Last edited by Hans Weilenmann; 01-05-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Thanks for the tip and the link Hans!

Blog Entries

Hans is correct, I believe. Have previously posted that the Dette's wanted sort of softer tailing fibers which would "bend" rather than break the water's surface tension.

Michael,

The stuff Charlie Collins sells are scapular feathers, not true spades. The quality is outstanding for tailing - long and stiff fibers. I know I can get down to a #10 dry fly and at least some of the feathers could tail a #8 Mustad 94840. PM me your snail mail addy and I'll be happy to send you some; you can decide if it's what you're looking for.

Regards,
    Scott

you could stop by the "Fly Fest 2013" (8th Annual)
    Saturday Feb. 9th, 2013
    Time: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
    Place: Catskill Fly Fishing Center & Museum, Old Route 17, Livingston Manor, N.Y.

there will be alot of tyers (myself included) that could help you out.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Michael,

The stuff Charlie Collins sells are scapular feathers, not true spades. The quality is outstanding for tailing - long and stiff fibers. I know I can get down to a #10 dry fly and at least some of the feathers could tail a #8 Mustad 94840. PM me your snail mail addy and I'll be happy to send you some; you can decide if it's what you're looking for.

Regards,
    Scott
    Scott,

I think if you were to ask Charlie, Denny and other knowledgeable hackle breeders, you'd find that the 'scapular' feathers are the true 'spade' feathers. The ones on the sides of trimmed necks are really the underthroat and provide a heavy protection for the chicken. Feathers shaped similar to these scapular feathers appear in the space between the neck and the saddle although I don't think those feathers offer the length of barb that the scapular ones do. Regardless of the name, as you wrote, these feathers offer excellent tailing barbs.
    Michael, not sure if the price and packaging has changed but Charlie stuffs a zip lock bag with these feathers and usually has them available at the show. You do have to clean them(the fuzz at the base) but here's a tip: some of that fuzz makes excellent dubbing.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread