+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction and a question

Hybrid View

Default Introduction and a question

Hi All,
    Many years ago when I first started fly fishing and tying, I frequently checked in on the FAOL boards and sometimes posed questions which were graciously answered. I come back now for a couple of reasons. One, while I never seriously got into trout fishing, concentrating on warm water species instead, I now have a couple of opportunities that I cannot pass on.

One, I have great access and opportunities to fish the Bois Brule in Wisconsin just about anytime I wish. And the second is the one that causes me to ask for some advice.

I am planning a trip to visit my son in Jackson, Wy. He will be there until mid-May. I would like to combine some spring skiing with some trout fishing. Have any of you fished the Snake or other Jackson area rivers/streams in March or the first week of April? The little research I've done so far gives me the impression that this would work. I would really love to hear of your experiences.

Thanks.

Sherm

190 views on this thread, and NO ONE has even welcomed you to the Board or provided any information to you? I'm ashamed of these members here!

Sherm, I'd like to welcome you to the Board. I'm not on very often, time only as my health allows, but I apologize for the lack of manners by others who are here all the time, and especially those who fish those waters, and have not offered you an answer.

I have only fished those waters many, many years ago ... in August ... so I'd be no help other than to suggest you contact these people: http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/. They will help you out any way they can.

I wish you good fishing. You should be before the melt and wash out.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

hayduke,

Welcome aboard! Sorry I cannot be of help as I have never fished those waters. Hopefully those that have will chime in soon.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    190 views on this thread, and NO ONE has even welcomed you to the Board or provided any information to you? I'm ashamed of these members here! <snip>

<twisting cap in hand>

Ummm, sorry about that. Welcome to the board hayduke. I've never fished the waters in question, but welcome to the board. Have a doughnut and a cup of coffee.
    BTW, I'm a toad, it's a long story...

Ed

I am also ashamed that it took us so long to say, "Welcome to the camp!" You notice that once Ms. Betty scolded us we got out act together.

I have not fished those specific waters in Wyoming but have fished a lot in Wyoming in general. It would seem to me that during that time of year, the fishing opportunities will all be dependant upon snow-melt and run-off. Your dates are early enough that run-off shouldn't be an issue. Certainly should be duable.

By the way, it would seem you missed the memo stating that the new guy brings the donuts!

Good luck in Wyoming. Lots of places it fish. I'm sure you can find someplace that will offer good fishing.

Hi Sherm,

Welcome to the board. Like most of the rest I can't help you with the question, but again, welcome back. Like you I mostly warm water fish, and in my case that is getting tougher. We have everything necessary for great warm water fly fishing here in the Texas panhandle, well,.....except we are a little short on water.

Regards,

Gandolf

Thanks for the welcome. I had a couple of boxes of doughnuts from the Quicktrip for you all but by the time I got home, there wasn't enough left for everyone so I ate the rest too. Sorry.

Your responses are appreciaited; any little bits of advice are always helpful if only for just another way to look at things.

Thanks again.
    Sherm

Blog Entries

Hayduke,

Welcome! I am also one of those warm-water (fly) fishers. I have no knowledge of the waters out west but I see you've already got several pointers in the right direction. Do you tie flies as well?

Karli-Rae
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Welcome aboard!

In addition to the Snake River, one of the best times to fish the Wind River is that time of year. It's on the other side of Togwohtee Pass from Jackson. It is generally wade fishing. You can catch some mighty fine Rainbows and Cutt's in the early spring. (Just make sure to stay north of the Reservation). Inside the National Forest, it is primarily cutts and brookies. As you get lower and closer to Dubois, and south of Dubois, it turns into Rainbows, Cutts, and even Browns all in the same holes.

In addition to High Country Flies (who are a great shop and operation), I also recommend http://www.snakeriverangler.com/index.php. They have helped me many a time in the past. Lastly the Orvis shop in Jackson can also provide some great information. By March, the Hoback River might be a good river to fish as well. I'm not sure when that river thaws though. I've never fished that area in the early Spring. Though the Snake is definitely floatable since it is a tail water.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Hayduke, Welcome (Back) to Fly Anglers Online! If you're interested, there is a *chatroom* on here, the guys that show come in about 9:00 EST and stay for 2-3 hours every night, you're Welcome to come in anytime!
    Also, Wish I could help with your question, but I only fish the Warm waters of Indiana, there are little to no trout streams ;(

+ Reply to Thread