+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introduction and a question

Blog Entries

Hayduke,

Welcome! I am also one of those warm-water (fly) fishers. I have no knowledge of the waters out west but I see you've already got several pointers in the right direction. Do you tie flies as well?

Karli-Rae
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Welcome aboard!

In addition to the Snake River, one of the best times to fish the Wind River is that time of year. It's on the other side of Togwohtee Pass from Jackson. It is generally wade fishing. You can catch some mighty fine Rainbows and Cutt's in the early spring. (Just make sure to stay north of the Reservation). Inside the National Forest, it is primarily cutts and brookies. As you get lower and closer to Dubois, and south of Dubois, it turns into Rainbows, Cutts, and even Browns all in the same holes.

In addition to High Country Flies (who are a great shop and operation), I also recommend http://www.snakeriverangler.com/index.php. They have helped me many a time in the past. Lastly the Orvis shop in Jackson can also provide some great information. By March, the Hoback River might be a good river to fish as well. I'm not sure when that river thaws though. I've never fished that area in the early Spring. Though the Snake is definitely floatable since it is a tail water.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Hayduke, Welcome (Back) to Fly Anglers Online! If you're interested, there is a *chatroom* on here, the guys that show come in about 9:00 EST and stay for 2-3 hours every night, you're Welcome to come in anytime!
    Also, Wish I could help with your question, but I only fish the Warm waters of Indiana, there are little to no trout streams ;(

I knew when I posted the question I'd get great responses. From stream recommendations to fly shops, to fly selections it is all good.

Last Aug. when we drove out to Jackson on a whirlwind trip, I saw so much water that looked inviting. The wind River, The Snake, Gos Venture, Hoback and a bunch of others all were calling me, but we had no time. I'm looking forward to getting back even though I'm a novice trouter.

I see at least one member picked up on the Ed Abbey reference in my user name. Good catch. Also, my son recommended skiing Grand Targhee for skiing so thanks for suggesting that also.

And yes, I do tie. The first project this winter is going to be some musky flys tied with a lot of flash material using Dave Whitlock's method for his Sheepshad pattern. We'll see.

Hayduke--welcome. Tell me about your Brule experiences. I have a place a couple of miles from Stone's Bridge.

john2, I have yet to fish it. I had a weird set of coincdences a couple of years ago when I met the owner of Brule River Classics Cabins and reconnected with an old friend from 25 years ago who has access to a cabin near Ino, not far from the Brule. That summer I met up with my friend who is the person that got me started fly fishing with the intent of fly fishing for northerns. We took a side trip to Brule River Classics, got pointed to some access points and spent the weekend yakking and watching trout rise, never wetting a line. I doubt the 9wt and musky flys would have done much good. Couldn't connect last year, but this year will be different!

+ Reply to Thread