+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to change the colour of a reel seat.

Default How to change the colour of a reel seat.

I have this new rod from Albright that I think is fantastic. But the bright green reel seat is "too in your face". Does anyone have a simple idea to change it's look. I would much prefer a burnished dark brown or dark dark burgandy. I was thinking of using a thinned soulution of nail polish but am worried it might chip. Could I use a few coats of permanent marker? Any ideas would help.
    Cheers and happy New Year.

Blog Entries

I've never heard of anyone changing the color of a reel seat although it wouldn't be too difficult to stain a wood insert. That looks like an acrylic insert and the only way I know to change the look of an acrylic seat is to remove it and put a different one on.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

My only suggestion would be to lightly sand it and then spray it with Krylon Fusion paint which is designed for plastics. However, I doubt if it would turn out very well. Personally, I would leave it as is. If the blank is green, the color of the reel seat should go well with it as is.

Dave

Thank you all...I guess I will have to live with it. The black is a lovely dark olive.

I use to dye motorcycle hoses with Rit dye. Worked great on the clear plastic tubing, but not sure how you could soak the reel seat without the cork butt getting it too.

That green really is "in your face" green though. Yikes.

What about wrapping with thread and epoxy. Like you would a guide on a rod..

Chances are the reel foot would not fit in the clips if you did that. They are pretty tight to begin with. Maybe if you sanded it down first, but how much?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Chances are the reel foot would not fit in the clips if you did that. They are pretty tight to begin with. Maybe if you sanded it down first, but how much?
    1.5 times the thickness of the thread is what I use on the military pens I make.

That will be much easier to do if you can chuck that in a lathe. That insert will not sand quickly.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

It would literally be a bandaid but you can take a piece of 2" plastic tape and cover all of the seat that would be exposed with the reel in place. A piece laid carefully in place and trimmed square would not be that obvious. This is a variation on the total redneck answer of covering it with duck tape, which is not available in colors and patterns.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    It would literally be a bandaid but you can take a piece of 2" plastic tape and cover all of the seat that would be exposed with the reel in place. A piece laid carefully in place and trimmed square would not be that obvious. This is a variation on the total redneck answer of covering it with duck tape, which is not available in colors and patterns.
    http://www.tapebrothers.com/Duct-Tap...FSmCQgodtiQA_Q

How cool would the tire tread look:

http://www.problemsolvers.com/produc...FQ_hQgodmB4ABQ

I still think you would need to cut out the shape of the foot though. At least the rods I have, there is no room for anything extra under the reel.

+ Reply to Thread