+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable 3 wt reels for use by kids

Wink Affordable 3 wt reels for use by kids

I have now entered the rod building aspect of our great sport, and have just finished my first rod. It is turning the final coat of epoxy as I type. It is by no means a masterpiece(look up kproctors military rods to see what a masterpiece looks like), but it came out way better then I expected. I have decided to give the first one to my 6 soon to be 7 year old. I have decided to build one for each of my three boys, as they have all enjoyed catching trout on dry run creek in Flippin AR, and received many a fly at the mountain home AR Sow Bug roundup.

Having said all this, I need three decent reels for 3wt rods. I am looking for something that can take a beating and not break the bank. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Light and inexpensive: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barga...3Bcat105764580

I own a couple of these and like them, although the drag keeps loosening on its own on one of them. Not a big deal if you just check it once in a while. For $20, even if you break one, it won't break you.

Slightly more sturdy: http://www.basspro.com/Hobbs-Creek-L...scription_link

I have owned several of these and have never had a single issue with one. Thousands of fish landed up to chinook and lots of steelhead. Again, $40 won't break the bank. Given my druthers, this is the one I would get in your situation.

Cabelas reels are great for the money... I have a couple of their Prestige Plus reels and have no complaints.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

I own and use both Prestige and Hobbs reels and have no complaints at all with them.
    That Dry Creek is awesome isn't it. I plan to take my 10 year old grandson there this year also.

Dave

I was there over thanksgiving and all three kids were catching fish. My middle child was roll casting mending and catching fish all by himself. He ended up with the biggest fig of the trip with a 4 lb brown.

I vote for the basspro of which i own seven (yes, overkill, i know). never had one fail.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

Blog Entries

I'm another fan of Bass Pro's fly reels. I own several and I have never had a problem.
    On the other hand, I've purchased 3 of Orvis's lowest-end reels and all have failed within a few outings.

Regards,
    Ed

Slightly OT but going with a light rod for a light person is usually a mistake. an 8'6"-9' 5-6 weight will be much more usable for most beginners, even kids.

Might also consider the Okuma Sierra 3/4/5.

Quote Originally Posted by daleconnally View Post
    Might also consider the Okuma Sierra 3/4/5.
    I agree. They are nice reels also for the money. In fact, I'm certain that's what the Cabela Prestige reels are-simply rebranded. I have a Prestige and an Okuma and they look identical and the spools are interchangeable.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread