+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Fishing" Social or Solitary?

Default "Fishing" Social or Solitary?

My wife doesn't understand why I've become a recluse. I've taught fly fishing to scouts. I've tied flies for kids at the library, and have been asked to teach a beginners class at a local junior college. I've got A couple friends who really want me to take them fly fishing. Kids are easier to teach than adults (imho). My quandry is when I'm fishing I don't want to socialize. I find peace in the solitude and rhythm in fly fishing.
    Or maybe it's because I really stink and don't want any witnesses.
    What is your comfort zone and why? Just trying to convince my wife that I'm not potentially turning into the next Ted K.

------------------
    "Illegitimus nil Carborundum"

Just tell her it might be her choice of deodorant. Should have no more problems.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

You must have balance, Grasshopper!

As I usually sign...

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

I enjoy fishing with others and I enjoy fishing alone. Of the two, I prefer to fish alone most of the time and I think that is because when I take someone with me, I want them to catch fish and discover what I have discovered about fly fishing. I put a lot of pressure on myself to make sure they catch fish and enjoy themselves. When I am alone, I do not need to catch fish to enjoy the day. I just need to be out there on the river in total solitude soaking up the peace and quiet and exploring what is around the next corner that maybe I missed. The added pressure on myself to make sure others catch fish is what takes some of the enjoyment out of the trip for me. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy fishing with others, but, there are a lot of times I really need to be alone to maintain my sanity.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I really stink and I don't want any witnesses.

You make your SW Wis trip yet?

I enjoy both solitary fishing and fishing with a friend. Sometimes even with a large group as a planned get-together such as a Fish-In or a club group. The older I get the more my wife feels better about my travels when I take someone along. Occasionally she comes along herself, but because she doesn't fish I usually don't take her on one day trips only on the multiple day trips when we
    can get cleaned up and have a nice dinner.

I posted a little blurb in the "Sound Off" board upon my return. It was really a gorgeous area and worth the trip. I would like to go back in May.

------------------
    "Illegitimus nil Carborundum"

I enjoy both solitary fishing, and fishing with a companion. Upon reflection, I usually learn more, and catch more when I'm alone. I attribute this to the fact that when I fish with someone, I'm at least partially focused on their success, or lack therof, their needs and desires,(is he/she getting bored or tired or want to leave?)which reduces the focus from what I'm doing. If I want to hunt and stalk fish, I go alone. If I want to have an enjoyable outing with maybe a few fish tossed into the mix, I'll go with one or two others. I enjoy watching things go CLICK when a newbie hooks up for the first time. Also, I love wade fishing, and I'm old enough now to appreciate having the security of a friend to help me out if I get myself in trouble.

------------------
    Lew
    They're just fish, right? Right?

I have to say I agree with Jonezee's post. That pretty much is the way I feel also.

If I stink, that is just a form of communication that says stay away from me.

Rocky

+ Reply to Thread